Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New graphic card needed? could Power supply manage it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2009 7:52:11 PM

Hellow together

two years ago I bought my pc. The system was well chosen and all the parts were matching.

2 Months ago my power-supply burnt through. I had to buy a new one (no further damage). afterwards I changed from 2gig ram ddr2-667 to 4 gigs ddr2-800 and overclocked my E6300 processor to 2.5 Ghz.

Now My Graphic card seems to be to slow for the rest of the system.

Geforce 7900gs with passive cooling(thought this would be good). First I thought I could also overclock my graphic card but i don't think that's intelligent with passive cooling, so I'm thinking about buying a new graphic card.

Motherboard: Asus p5b (not deluxe JUST p5b)
Power supply: Eurocase ATX-550 JSP - 550 Watt(not sure if it is the same as the one that burnt through after two years)

As far as I know the P5b doesn't support 16xPciexpress 2.0 but only 1.0.....
My thought was that I should buy a geforce from the 8xxx series because they're also 1.0.

Problem: my favorite shops (good prices) don't have the models I wanted (geforce 8800gtx/gt).

I've seen a really nice card after all: Palit 9600GT Super, PCI-E x16, 512MB DDR3 (only 115 swiss franks about 100 dollar)
but it again supports Pci 2.0 and I've read that this results in a performance loss of 15%, which is a high number when talking about an upgrade. another problem is that I've heard about people having problems with that card and prefering a 8800gt....

Another thing that causes headace is the thought of my power supply not manageing a new graphic card, since my burnt although nothing was overclocked one BURNT.

I need your advice. Are any of my Thoughts wrong? (could I f.e overclock a passive cooled gpu with no probs?)
Please help me! thank you
Erdinger

I don't really know If the Upgrade would be big and also i Don't know
January 19, 2009 8:51:19 PM

A 550 watt PSU should handle most graphics card out in the market, Please tell us what games you will most likely be playing so we can suggest the right graphic card for you.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2009 9:33:41 PM

Your PCIex16 1.1 motherboard supports all PCIex16 2.0 graphic cards, they are totally backward compatible with your socket. Look at the HD4830 or the 9800GT before you settle for a 9600GT. A decent 550w power supply will have no trouble with those cards and your overclocked system.
Related resources
January 20, 2009 1:35:43 PM

You have to know that the power supply is a really cheap one but ok.

I don't really know which games I'm going to play since at the moment I'm playing oldies again (warcraft 3 tft and cs1.6/source)

But one of the reasons why I play these games is that I can't play titles like crisis..

Maby I should wait until the prices get lower since I'm not really "horny" for a game that needs a better card.

I can't believe that a Pci 2.0 card works perfectly well with no performance losses on a pci1.0 motherboard.... there has to be an advantage with pci2.0 otherwise it wouldn't exist.

I'm looking foreward to playing starcraft 2 (who knows when it will come) and would also like to just play an new shooter BUT! i don't need high graphic options, since gameplay is what i'm more intrested in and I don't want to spend to much money, If games don't lag I'm happy(especially if I still can play the games that come out in 1/2 years:) )
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2009 1:46:23 PM

get ati 4830 or 4830.....for those cards recommended psus start from 450w so you will be fine
January 20, 2009 3:25:55 PM

ati 4830 or 4830 what a big choice :)  any explanation why?
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2009 4:24:13 PM

Do n`t worry about losing performance with a PCI-E 1.0 MB, very few cards can actually use the full performance of PCI-E 1.0, much less 2.0!

I think ALVINE meant 4830 or 4850 and either would be a huge upgrade from a 7900.

This`ll give you an idea of where your current card sits in relation the the others, and which would be a good replacement or upgrade.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review...
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
January 20, 2009 5:02:25 PM

1) pcie1.0 vs 2.0 is a non issue today. Cards are forward and backward compatible. Any performance difference only shows up with multiples of the very fastest cards, and the real FPS sifference is closer to 1%
The upgraded standard is in place to pave the way for the future. Much like the usb and sata upgraded standards.

2) If you upgrade your vga card, look to jump several levels, or you may be disappointed. Look for a 8800 or better card at least. The 9600GT would be good. Even a 9800GTX would work. Look for a card that requires only a single 6 pin pci-e psu connector. I assume that that is what your current psu has. To be certain of your psu capability, either post a link to it's specs, or read off how many amps it can supply on the 12v rails. Yhat is much more important than wattage.

3) I would stick with nvidia, simply because of ease of installation. To change to ati, you need to completely clean out the old nvidia drivers, and that does not always work perfectly.
You mostly get what you pay for in vga cards when comparing ATI and nvidia. Ati might have a slight edge, but it changes depending...

4) Don't look at anything much stronger than a 9800GTX because the cpu will start to become the weakest part of your system.
January 20, 2009 5:10:52 PM

I've found a 4830 at my favorite shop, but now a new concern arose.
I have two monitors one Vga and one Dvi (have a Dvi Vga adapter)

will I be able to use them both with the 4830?
in the product description it's written:
DVI (Dual-Link), VGA, VIVO, HDMI über DVI,
I would have expected to be 2x Dvi....
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
January 20, 2009 5:17:35 PM

erdinger said:
I've found a 4830 at my favorite shop, but now a new concern arose.
I have two monitors one Vga and one Dvi (have a Dvi Vga adapter)

will I be able to use them both with the 4830?
in the product description it's written:
DVI (Dual-Link), VGA, VIVO, HDMI über DVI,
I would have expected to be 2x Dvi....

January 20, 2009 5:36:46 PM

K I think It's going to be a geforce 9600gt or 9800gt, I found two with nearly the same price.

Which one is better geforce 9600gt or 9800gt (the 9600gt has the same numbers (ram ....) but it has 15 mhz more.
Is it good to have a graphic card with ddr3 ram if your own ram is ddr2?
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2009 5:48:19 PM

The 9800 GT will be the faster card.
The Video card RAM is seperate from the MB Ram so there will be no problems or conflicts. For example I have DDR2 800 system RAM but my video card had GDDR5 memory.
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
January 20, 2009 6:55:31 PM

coozie7 said:
The 9800 GT will be the faster card.
The Video card RAM is seperate from the MB Ram so there will be no problems or conflicts. For example I have DDR2 800 system RAM but my video card had GDDR5 memory.

+ 1 for coozie7
January 21, 2009 12:52:22 AM

9800 GT or HD 4670 might be good options. Though if your not sure about your Power supply, then you might want to consider that first. Remember if the Power Supply goes down, the whole system goes down too. Check out Corsair, OCZ, Antec, or Enermax for quality power supplies.
January 21, 2009 11:42:26 AM

Don't want to buy a new power supply, but since it's 550wat and nearly new I think I will stick to my power supply and buy a new card.
+ the lust time my power supply started burning every other pc component still worked :) 
January 21, 2009 12:34:51 PM

ZOTAC 9800GT, PCI-E x16, 512MB GDDR3

Bustipe: PCIe x16 (PCI-E 2.0 support)
Chip: G92
frequency: 660 MHz
Speicherbandbreite: 256bit
frequency: 1.8GHz (0.9MHz DDR)
Pixel Pipelines: GigaThread, 112 Stream Processors, shader-engine clock 1500MHz
cooling: single slot
special: HDCP Ready, HDMI over DVI, min 350 psu (min 500 Watt with SLI), orange PCB
connections: 2x DVI (2x DualLink), 1x HDTV-Out, 1x PCI-E 6Pin "elecricity"

Sorry for the german words didn't know how two translate them.

think I'll buy this one, checked with the power supply and it has pci express 6pin.

This card is the cheapest 9800gt I've found....
Any problems with it?
January 21, 2009 1:00:35 PM

At what resolution do you want to run games? What is the native resolution of your lcd monitor? That is the real question. If its a 15 inch lcd at 1024x768 you could get by with a lower video card than you have mentioned. If you have a 22 inch or larger with 1920x1200 then the 9800 is a must.
January 21, 2009 1:36:58 PM

22inch tft 1680x....
Is my main monitor (the one for the games 2ms)
and I also have a old 19 inch not tft monitor :) 
January 21, 2009 1:45:26 PM

Sorry im not sure if its clear but I always use both monitors at the same time, and luckily the card I posted has 2 Dvi "connections" which is great.
January 22, 2009 1:36:59 PM

I think Ill buy a 9800gt from zotak. not sure if I'll buy the 9800gt or 9800gt amp (overclocked version but only 7% higher price).

Do you think that the prices of the geforce 9800 series will drop in the next time?
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
January 22, 2009 1:59:31 PM

erdinger said:
I think Ill buy a 9800gt from zotak. not sure if I'll buy the 9800gt or 9800gt amp (overclocked version but only 7% higher price).

Do you think that the prices of the geforce 9800 series will drop in the next time?

VGA card prices are always dropping, except possibly for the fastest top card.
If you wait for the bottom, you will wait forever.

All 9800GT cards are essentially the same. The overclocked ones have been binned and selected because they can sustain a higher guaranteed overclock. They command a price premium, and depending on how much, may be worth it. Vendor support may be different. I don't know about Zotac, but here in the US, EVGA, XFX, and BFG are considered to have good support if you need it.

The cards may come with different cooling solutions. I think the best are those dual slot coolers that expel the hot vga air directly out the back of the case. This keeps the vga card cooler, but it also keeps the cpu cooler because the hot air is not recirculated within the case. I won't buy any high end card without this feature. Here is what one looks like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=14-...
January 22, 2009 3:27:00 PM

The zotac 9800gt Amp! has a single slot cool system...
January 22, 2009 6:56:41 PM

I've bought the Zotac geforce 9800gt Amp! its a overclocked version but it was a special offer of the best hardware seller in my country, so I prefered it to the 9800 gt normal version.

Thanks for your help, I may be having any other kind of problems (drivers or whatever) I'll post them here or in a new thread.

Your Erdinger
January 24, 2009 12:58:49 PM

So here's my new question.

Is this procedure correct when I want to change the card (7900gs to 9800gt)

1. Go to "system control"---> software and uninstall nvidia drivers .
2. Use ccleaner and clean up the registry
3. Exchange the graphic cards
4. Install the new Drivers from the Inet (not the cd although it is a overclocked 9800gt.)
5. ENJOY the new card.

this would the last peace of Help i need.

Thank you
Erdinger
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 24, 2009 5:15:08 PM

I`d skip part 2 because you are changing one Nvidia card for another. And, as always, before you change the drivers, set a restore point.
Otherwise no problems mate, enjoy you new card when it comes:) 
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 137 ) Power supply
January 24, 2009 6:15:33 PM

coozie7 said:
I`d skip part 2 because you are changing one Nvidia card for another. And, as always, before you change the drivers, set a restore point.
Otherwise no problems mate, enjoy you new card when it comes:) 

+1 for coozie again.
January 26, 2009 7:11:14 PM

I've installed the new graphic card (huge thing) everything works the only concern is that it is at 61C when I'm on the desktop.... but since I have a two year warranty that's not much of a problem:) 

two slot cooling would really have been better but just much more expensive. I hope that the increase in gpu temp wont let my Cpu get hotter but since my Case is well ventilated that also doesn't cause to much headake.

The only thing I need now are high end games :)  thank you for your help again
October 10, 2010 9:31:14 PM

i wonder why your 9800gt is at 61°C because mine is at 46°C after a good long 2 hours of music and surfing, no games, then again i have 3 case fans and a double fan power supply and a huge cpu cooler. i dont know how your system is cooled, but u should try to get the case to suck air in the front and push it out the back.

my cpu is overclocked from 2.8 ghz to 3.2 ghz and it shows me a temp of 41°C after a half hour of crysis
and my gpu temp will be at about 52°C

sers :) 
October 11, 2010 4:37:11 AM

Yeah the hole story is more then one year old and the GPU broke in the meantime... the case was badly ventilated but it didn't really matter since I got cashback for the GPU and yould buy a gtx250 for only 10 dollars more then what I got.

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 11, 2010 10:19:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!