SOund Card Problems, Audigy SE

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'm at wits end here, i am about to give up building PC's and go back to dells.... I need some help here, please. I will list me PC specs then my problems.
-AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.31
-Asus M2R32-MVP Mother Board
-Creative Audigy SE
-4Gb of Ram
-Vista Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1 (same issues occur on 32 bit though)
-Sapphire Radeon 2900 XT 512
-750 Watt Thermal Take Tough power

My problem is as follow, when i play games, browse the internet or even just sit at my desk top i will loose sound in random intervals. I sometimes have a good run of 12 days before i have problems other times i barely get 12 minutes. A simple restart fixes it, again temporarily. I RMA's the mobo and got a new one, the PSU is fine, i have swapped psu's to no success, audio card works in other PC's, i replaced the audio card anyways to no success. Nothings Over clocked. Everythings up to date. I need help here, Ive swapped PCI slots, Ive reinstalled drivers. ive formatted at least 15 times. i need some help, please offer any assistance possible.

Scorpio383

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am sure you have probably checked this but I had an audigy card that would lose sound or skip. I uninstalled the drivers and removed the card then went into device manager and uninstalled my motherboards onboard audio drivers and disabled them as well. After I made sure all other audio drivers were uninstalled and disabled, I put the card back in and reinstalled the drivers. I haven't had any problems since. Even if the other devices drivers aren't the problem their can be a hardware conflict between two devices on a pci bus, and disabling or removing other devices on the same bus one at a time could determine what device is causing the conflict(if that is the problem). Since your motherboard has integrated 7.1 audio onboard, the problem most likely is a driver or hardware conflict between them(even if your os doesnt list a conflict). Otherwise a modem or other device on the same bus. I hope this helps.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Yea I did try that... Even one more time last night to verify I did it all right. I do appreciate the help and would appreciate any further assistance you might be able to offer as well as anyone else out there.

Scorpio383

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
That really is puzzling and frustrating I'm sure. Did you say you didn't have any other card on your other pci slot? Since the card works on your other systems then it must be either a defect on the board or a conflict. Do you have sisoft sandra benchmark software on this pc? I got a copy from download.com for benchmarking, and it's really helped me identify issues because it gives you information on your computers hardware and software that is very detailed. It could tell you what is going on with your card and every other device and offer suggestions. It's hard to troubleshoot without really detailed info about what irq address is given to the card and what other devices are sharing it. Also if another devices drivers or software may be trying to use that irq, even if the device isn't physically there. Anyway that's what I would try. It helped me with a video card that was conflicting with the onboard video adapter, even though I had uninstalled its drivers windows automatically reinstalled them. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. If I can think of anything else I'll post it. If you try sandra let me know if it helps.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'm sorry but there are so many different versions of that program you recommended that I'm a little confused on what one. my other pci slot is empty, i have tried putting a Wired LAN card there and it gets an inconsistent connection as well. This issue is highly confusing....

Scorpio383

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
If that is the case it could be power issue with the board or bios. Like the voltage or multiplier. You said you returned the mobo for a new one so it's hard to know without technical info. I believe sandra 2009 sp2 is the latest and it's what I have. It's full name is SiSoft Sandra lite 2009.1.15.72. I would really suggest you download and get familiar with this software. This way you can see precisely what you hardware and software environment is. If there is a problem with your hardware Sandra can usually detect it automatically and offer a resolution. For instance you will see how many volts the pci bus should have and what it's getting. Sandra resolved problems I didn't know I had. Most people who use this kind of software like one brand. I have tried several different programs and this is the best for hardware information. It's not perfect, and the free version lacks some modules but the ones you need are there. It's pretty easy to get the hang of it. It's not the greatest for bechmarking but for the info, tips, price and performance comparisons I wouldn't build a system without it or at least one like it.

Scorpio383

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
If that is the case it could be power issue with the board or bios. Like the voltage or multiplier. You said you returned the mobo for a new one so it's hard to know without technical info. I believe sandra 2009 sp2 is the latest and it's what I have. It's full name is SiSoft Sandra lite 2009.1.15.72. I would really suggest you download and get familiar with this software. This way you can see precisely what you hardware and software environment is. If there is a problem with your hardware Sandra can usually detect it automatically and offer a resolution. For instance you will see how many volts the pci bus should have and what it's getting. Sandra resolved problems I didn't know I had. Most people who use this kind of software like one brand. I have tried several different programs and this is the best for hardware information. It's not perfect, and the free version lacks some modules but the ones you need are there. It's pretty easy to get the hang of it. It's not the greatest for bechmarking but for the info, tips, price and performance comparisons I wouldn't build a system without it or at least one like it.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
So i have tried the program you recommended and so far it has not told me of anything wrong, the only weird thing i noticed is that my video card has no assigned IRQ nor does it have an interrupt, maybe this is it? I'm sorry but once i get into this technical of information, i lack a lot of knowledge needed to no sound like a moron.