Corsair H-50 running 70c on non-overclocked i7 930

Madcut

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Just built my computer and I'm currently running prime95 on it. I'm using a corsair h-50 cooler, i7 930 cpu, p6x58d premium mobo and corsair dominator 3x2gb ddr3 1600mhz ram.

After ten minutes it has been ranging from 70-76c temperature in core temp. I'm pretty sure I installed the cooler correctly, but I'm not sure if I did something wrong? The cpu runs at 40c in idle. I'd like to overclock to around 3.6ghz but I definitely won't overclock until I can get the temperature down. I'm using an Antec 900 case and I replaced the back fan with the corsair radiator. I haven't installed that fan into the side panel yet, but I doubt that could be the reason.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Wow, you've got a good chip, and sweet temps! I wouldn't reseat it; there's no reason to do that right now, the Shin Etsu paste is great. Don't remove it unless you have to.

Having two fans does a great deal for the H50, I don't have as good of a chip as you, and at 3.8GHz/1.225v was hitting 81C with two Thermaltake Thunderblades in push/pull, and was like -8C going from one fan.

It's weird that the boot manager would ask that. Just go to msconfig, and go to the boot tab, and click "Check all boot paths) or something similar.
What are your ambient temps ?
Did you install as intake or exhaust ?
Do you have a second fan to add for push/pull ?
I've used them on an I7-860 at 3.8 / I7-930 at 4.0 / I7-965 at 4.0 and an I7-980x at 4.0 with better results than yours.
Currently have one modded with a dual rad that keeps the 980X ( at 4.27 ) below 66ºC in a 21ºC room

Madcut

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
41c ampient.
I have two intakes on the front and an exhaust on the top. Rear is the radiator. No side panel.
I can add the former rear fan to the side panel as an intake (or should I do exhaust?)

Should I increase fan speeds?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
+1, that's really freakin hot for ambient.

A standard H50 is good on an i7 up to around 3.4GHz, and after that starts to get a bit too hot. Add a second fan for push/pull, and you should be good up to around 3.8GHz, depending on the amount of voltage it takes to push your chip to that.

BUT, you need to get your ambient temps in check before doing any overclocking.

Madcut

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hmmm.

Well how do I know if the Corsair is even working at all? The fan is on but when I touch the heatsink it feels pretty warm.

I just put in a side panel fan in intake. Seems like my ambient temps have increased by 1c. I turned the top exhaust fan to medium and put the side panel on medium. Should I put all of the fans on high speed?

Also, my gtx 480 is extremely wide. It nearly cuts the case in half. The bottom front fan might not be able to get air flow. I'm not sure how I could fix this, because I can't really move it around.

Any suggestions on how to set my fans up? 2 front, one side panel, large exhaust on top, h50 radiator on back.

If I do overclock it to 3.4ghz as it is now, what would be too high of a temp?

Madcut

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
As an update...

I decided to ignore overclocking it right now and played some COD:Modern Warfare. I watched my temps after an hour and noticed they were a little lower (39c). They dropped down a couple Celsius after another hour or two. I decided to overclock to 3.5ghz and I am currently running prime95.

After 40 mins my temps have averaged 59-64c. Ambient temps were in the high thirties. Seems strange that I'm overclocking and I'm getting better temps then when cpu was at stock.

Tomorrow I will try for 4.0-4.2Ghz and see how that goes. I doubt it will go over 75c.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
The thermal paste on the H50 is a Shin-Etsu variety and requires no curing time to be at full performance.

As for the strange drop in temperature, I'm not sure what would have caused it, but who's complaining? :D

IDK about overclocking that high, an i7 at 4.0GHz (sometimes needing 1.35-1.4v) puts out a lot of heat, usually upwards of 200w, which is past the bounds of the H50.

Madcut

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I put went up to 182 bclk and 1.25v cpuv to 4.0ghz speed. I first tried 1.2v then 1.3v and each wouldn't load windows and gave me an overclock failed! message. 1.25v seemed to work so I ran prime95.

I'm hitting 80c on Core 0 right now and 75-79 on the rest. That's a little too warm I suppose. Prime95 ran for two hours with no problem. Thought that the computer crashed but it only switched onto sleep mode after an hour and a half so I turned it back on for a bit.

If I reseated the mount would I have to apply new thermal paste or can I still use the one that it comes with? Not sure how the precured stuff works exactly.

I ordered two Scyth Gentle Typhoons 120mm fans to set up a push-pull config on the H50. This should reduce the temp by 5c or so right?

One other thing is that ever since I overclocked the CPU I keep getting windows boot manager asking me what os I want to load (which only reads Windows 7.) Is there a way to take that off so it automatically loads windows again?

Thanks

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Wow, you've got a good chip, and sweet temps! I wouldn't reseat it; there's no reason to do that right now, the Shin Etsu paste is great. Don't remove it unless you have to.

Having two fans does a great deal for the H50, I don't have as good of a chip as you, and at 3.8GHz/1.225v was hitting 81C with two Thermaltake Thunderblades in push/pull, and was like -8C going from one fan.

It's weird that the boot manager would ask that. Just go to msconfig, and go to the boot tab, and click "Check all boot paths) or something similar.

Solution

g0tvtec

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

nI switched from one stock H50 fan & CM R4 to 2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 and there was only -1c @ max load. Very disappointing considering they are not cheap fans. I was expecting a much bigger drop. Also I only have a 2-3c drop @ max load by using a push/pull setup over using 1 fan.
n
nIve heard so many great things about the Gentle Typhoon and push/pull setups but I have not had much luck with them...

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Here is some testing from Corsair on Push/Pull: http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

I guess that my 8C drop was a special case.

FWIW, the stock Corsair fan and the Cooler Master R4 are both around 50CFM, just like the Scythe fans, so there should have been no change in switching them out (except maybe in noise).

Do you have any black duct tape? What I would do is make a shroud to go on the gaps between the fans and the radiator, that way there is maximum pressure going through the rad. I did this on my new water cooling setup (4x120 radiator with 4 Yate Loon D12SH), and the pressure increased quite a bit by adding a makeshift shroud. This may lower temps by another degree or two.

BorNej

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Could you show some pics of the H50 you modded and tell me what you did that sounds VERY interesting!

BorNej

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
What kind of fittings and what rad. did you use ? I would LOVE to do something just like that on my rig. Did you just clean it in the pic or do you have filters?

A couple of nylon .25" angle barbs from Lowe's and a Swiftech 220 Res rad ( aka a 240mm rad ).
The case is new,unboxed about 2 weeks ago, bought several of them from Newegg back in August when they were clearing them out.
The pump can handle the increased volume with no voltage modifications. Asetek , the oem for the H50, has a 240mm version.
Do a Google on " H50 Mods " , there's loads of them out there.