Antec 1200 200mm fan

AJ2009

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hi guys, just had a new build delivered and its based on the antec 1200 case. Anyway i plugged it in and everthing was great until i noticed the 200mm fan on top of the case was not spinning. There are 2 switches for this fan on the back of the case, 1 for the blue led and 1 for the speed. I turned on the led and turned the fan speed up to maximum and still the fan would not start. So i took the side panel off and spun the fan with my fingers a few times and it started spinning on its own then. But it makes a rubbing sound and is fairly annoying even on the lowest setting. Has anyone out there had a similar problem or any idea's would be great thanks.

AJ2009

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply mi1ez, yes it sounds like i have, i will contact the builders of the pc see what they say first. thanks again.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I just did a build 4 days ago and got the antec 1200. Definitely sounds like you got a dud. The top fan on mine spins right up and is virtually silent unless put on its maximum setting. I kept switching mine between low and medium, low moves plenty of air but I figured that since I couldnt tell the difference in noise level between low and medium that I might as well leave it on medium. Antec customer service is usually good from what I've heard but since you had it built for you you might be better off doing as you suggested and going to the builder if they're a reputable store / company.

AJ2009

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Thanks guys for your help. I checked if anything was touching or blocking the fan but there was not. I phoned the company that built it and the guy said they were quite loud anyway so i put the fan on maximum and put the phone to the fan, he agreed then that it shouldn't be making that sound. They are supposed to do a burn in period before shipping the pc so why they didnt pick this up before shipping i don't know. The guy did say it could have got damaged during transit ( the fan could have been knocked off it's axis some how ) which seems possible? Anyway i got to arrange for it to be picked up for repair which will take another week, i have already waited over 2 weeks for the build. Pretty peed off now just want to use my new computer without fault. Thanks again everybody i am very gratefull.

rdcamero

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Can you get them to just send you a new fan.It would be easy to install and save a lot of time and trouble instead of having to ship the whole thing back.

AJ2009

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
The guy on the phone from the builders of the pc did suggest that they send a fan and i change it but the guy later said it is not so easy to change. At the moment i am awaiting an email confirming the pick up of the pc. I am a newbie to the guts of a pc to be honest, you guys prob noticed. I just hope i get it back by middle of next week with out any problems as i spent a lot of money and just want to play great games at high spec. Just in case you guys want to know the spec of the pc i ordered -

antec 1200 ( obviously )
thermaltake toughpower 750w
asus p6t v2 motherboard
intel core i7 920
6 gb corsair ddr3 1333mhz memory
500 gb hard drive

I ordered the graphics card seperate from a different company and a friend will put it in -

evga gtx260

What guys think?

Anyway thanks for your replys guys.