Sign in with
Your question

I7-930 OCing + Heat

Last response: in Overclocking
May 29, 2010 4:13:52 PM

I have been a long time owner of an i7 920 C0 and have been very happy with it. I just bought an i7 930 from microcenter for $200 because I was looking to upgrade for better overclocking with lower temperatures. With my i7 I could hit 4GHz at around 1.38 CPU voltage. At this voltage and max load under prime95 the temps hit high 70s low 80s. I have Megahalems with 2 Ultra Kaze 3000rpm fans strapped to it. Here is a picture http://img202.imageshack.us/i/1001173l.jpg/ (fans are anywhere I could put them because I had them and the noise doesn't bother me). I am using the IC Diamond thermal paste.

These temps seem a bit high to me for such an insane air setup, how should I go about applying the IC Diamond? What is the absolute best thermal paste as I am looking to push the 930 to 4.3+? I do not want to mess with the liquid pro or indigo extreme. How should I apply the thermal past to the cpu, I was thinking that the best way is to make a thin line following the cores? Is there any other way that I could push the temps down even a little bit?

More about : 930 ocing heat

May 29, 2010 8:48:39 PM

I have actually read more into the indigo extreme and I just ordered some. Anyone have any idea why my CPU runs at low 80s at 1.38v on such a setup? I have been people with similar setups at 1.4v running high 60s. Could this be a mounting problem? Maybe I didn't secure the megas tight enough. With the indigo extreme it seems to me like there will be less possible issues with mounting.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2010 1:09:07 AM

laz0r said:
I have been a long time owner of an i7 920 C0 and have been very happy with it. I just bought an i7 930 from microcenter for $200 because I was looking to upgrade for better overclocking with lower temperatures. With my i7 I could hit 4GHz at around 1.38 CPU voltage. At this voltage and max load under prime95 the temps hit high 70s low 80s. I have Megahalems with 2 Ultra Kaze 3000rpm fans strapped to it. Here is a picture http://img202.imageshack.us/i/1001173l.jpg/ (fans are anywhere I could put them because I had them and the noise doesn't bother me). I am using the IC Diamond thermal paste.

These temps seem a bit high to me for such an insane air setup, how should I go about applying the IC Diamond? What is the absolute best thermal paste as I am looking to push the 930 to 4.3+? I do not want to mess with the liquid pro or indigo extreme. How should I apply the thermal past to the cpu, I was thinking that the best way is to make a thin line following the cores? Is there any other way that I could push the temps down even a little bit?

With the ICD the best method is the 5.5 mm pea on the center of the chip.
I tried the thin line, didn't work so well.
!