I7-930 OCing + Heat

laz0r

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I have been a long time owner of an i7 920 C0 and have been very happy with it. I just bought an i7 930 from microcenter for $200 because I was looking to upgrade for better overclocking with lower temperatures. With my i7 I could hit 4GHz at around 1.38 CPU voltage. At this voltage and max load under prime95 the temps hit high 70s low 80s. I have Megahalems with 2 Ultra Kaze 3000rpm fans strapped to it. Here is a picture http://img202.imageshack.us/i/1001173l.jpg/ (fans are anywhere I could put them because I had them and the noise doesn't bother me). I am using the IC Diamond thermal paste.

These temps seem a bit high to me for such an insane air setup, how should I go about applying the IC Diamond? What is the absolute best thermal paste as I am looking to push the 930 to 4.3+? I do not want to mess with the liquid pro or indigo extreme. How should I apply the thermal past to the cpu, I was thinking that the best way is to make a thin line following the cores? Is there any other way that I could push the temps down even a little bit?

laz0r

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I have actually read more into the indigo extreme and I just ordered some. Anyone have any idea why my CPU runs at low 80s at 1.38v on such a setup? I have been people with similar setups at 1.4v running high 60s. Could this be a mounting problem? Maybe I didn't secure the megas tight enough. With the indigo extreme it seems to me like there will be less possible issues with mounting.

With the ICD the best method is the 5.5 mm pea on the center of the chip.
I tried the thin line, didn't work so well.