HTPC Stuck at Post Screen RAM Check OK

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together an HTPC and ran into some problems.

I'm trying to isolate the issue after putting everything together:

here's what i have connected so far:

Intel Core 2 Duo 8500
ECS G31T-M Mobo
(i'm using the onboard graphics for now - I
pulled the video card and TV tuner out - one problem at a time)
Samsung HD503IJ SATA 500 GB HD
IDE DVD drive
2x 2GB crucial DDR2-6400 RAM

I can see the post screen and it even gets past the check ram, but i cant get to the BIOS.

I've tried resetting the CMOS but no help there either...

Thanks in advance for all the help/comments!!!

my.php

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Try taking out your CPU and reseating it. I had an AMD machine do that a while back and when I reseated it, it POSTed.

Other suggestion if the CPU thing doesn't work is try one stick of RAM at a time, switching them if it doesn't work the first time.

You can try a different power supply if the above doesn't work. Some motherboards are sensitive to certain power supplies, though generally it won't boot if it is power supply but you never know.

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Yah, it stops there.

I've tried Del, F1, F2, F10, F11, F12, everything!

When i press F11, the top line turns into "Boot popup "

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

I've done the Ram swap out and the same results, I'll try taking out the CPU, that sucks, i don't want to take it apart, but i will if i have to!

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

It doesnt give you any options after hitting F11? a drive selection or something like that?

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
del...

could it be the processor, even though it registers?

The HD or CD doesnt need to register to get to the bios, so i dont get why its not letting get into it?

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Yah, I tried my PC stick and it still doesn't work and i tried the new stick on a different machine and it works.

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Yah, it was totally different, I don't know what brand it was, I pulled it out of my HP and stuck it in the HTPC.

bbmatt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
how would I flash the bios if the system does not recongize any of my drives (wont got past POST screen o even show me the "enter del for setup" line?

G

Hi i know that this post is old but if people run in to this problem as i have they can get answers here, i got the same error on my pc and i exhausted hours and hours over this error until i turned off the pc opened up the case so that you can see the motherboard then i took a jumper (little plastic clip) off the two pins it was on and moved it left 1 pin (there are 3 pins and it sit on two of them) mine was near the little silver battery and there is only 1 set of 3 pins with a jumper on it so you should find it, once youve done that switch it on nothing should happen and you think that its broken but what you just did has reset the bios, now switch off your pc and put the jumper back to its original position then turn your pc back on voila you should now be able to access your bios and not be stuck on the memory check status screen hope this helps all.

Mark frodsham

G

Mark, I got the same problem and resetting bios didn't work either. This problem seems to stump every puter expert I've talked to. BBmatt, did you get it sorted yet??? Did you manage to update the bios ... I aint tried that yet.

G

Mark, I got the same problem and resetting bios didn't work either. This problem seems to stump every puter expert I've talked to. BBmatt, did you get it sorted yet??? Did you manage to update the bios ... I aint tried that yet.