Reinstalling Win 7 on a Kingston V Series SSD

heedaf

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I've been having a lot of fun with my computer. I had it all setup with the Kingston V SSD 64GB as my boot drive and my rotional drive as a program drive. The program drive died and the boot drive was having issues. So I tried to reload Win 7 on the SSD and everytime I click to install the new copy I get an error. So I installed Win 7 on the program drive and reformated the SSD. When I try and install Win 7 on the SSD it gives me the option to repair it or install it. If I select to install I get the same error as before. This is pretty strange since the drive shouldn't even have Windows on it.

Any ideas?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Go into Disk Manager and delete the partitions on the ssd, when you install W7 it creates a 100 meg hidden partition for itself, which is why it thinks Windows is still there.
Formating the drive doesn't remove the files on the hidden partition.
I'm asuming you have a full version of W7 to reinstall, so just delete the partitions on the ssd and don't create any new ones, boot the W7 dvd and create a new partition from the setup.
Oh and don't forget to disconnect the normal drive that has W7 now before starting.

heedaf

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Thanks Jonmor68, I did this earlier and it still didn't work. I did figure out the problem, although I really don't understand why. I had another data disk that I didn't disconnect since it isn't bootable but for some reason it was interferring with the startup. Go figure! That was a waste of a weekend.