Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Terminal services failed to install win xp

Last response: in Windows XP
June 1, 2011 3:59:12 PM

terminal services is not available in "services" and remote desktop is not available in "my computer" properties dialogue box. Win XP SP3. Result - unable to install Serch 4.0.
June 1, 2011 4:38:48 PM

Is this XP Home? The home edition doesn't have remote desktop.
m
l
June 1, 2011 5:32:42 PM

This is XP Pro Service Pack 3.
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2011 11:24:20 PM

The problem here is that I can't get Search 4.0 to install. The error is terminal services must be running. Terminal services is not installed, as it should have been with SP2, and again with SP3. I have done every single update available except for Internet Explorer 9 which I feel is too buggy and incompatible with many web sites. The only update that refuses to install is Search 4.0. When I try to manually install Terminal Services, I get an error message that installation is not necessary as it is included with SP2 or SP3. Help!!!!
m
l

Best solution

June 2, 2011 11:44:32 AM

You can try this. First start by trying to start terminal services with

net start TermService

on a command prompt and see if it starts. A fix follows if this doesn't work.

http://www.windowstipspage.com/2010/10/can-not-start-te...
June 9, 2011 2:25:29 AM

Best answer selected by funkeyro.
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:28:02 AM

funkeyro said:
terminal services is not available in "services" and remote desktop is not available in "my computer" properties dialogue box. Win XP SP3. Result - unable to install Serch 4.0.

@Hawkeye, I have WinXp Home and if you type 'mstsc' (microsoft terminal services (console?)) it will bring up a box named Remote Desktop.

@funkeyro, I had the same issue with a copy of WinXp Pro that came with a replacement computer we had gotten from a person. It looked like some sp2 updates failed which apparently left out 'terminal services' from services.msc and still did not add with a clean sp3 install (although with a not so clean sp2 update I guess sp3 not quite so clean) and as a result cannot add a/v, let a company take control of computer for help, etc. And had same issue with adding terminal services by not being able to find it anywhere on the M$ website since it should already be installed with sp updates.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future plus the great posts prior to this one.

Take care,
Steve
m
l
!