Solved

Terminal services failed to install win xp

terminal services is not available in "services" and remote desktop is not available in "my computer" properties dialogue box. Win XP SP3. Result - unable to install Serch 4.0.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about terminal services failed install
  1. Is this XP Home? The home edition doesn't have remote desktop.
  2. This is XP Pro Service Pack 3.
  3. The problem here is that I can't get Search 4.0 to install. The error is terminal services must be running. Terminal services is not installed, as it should have been with SP2, and again with SP3. I have done every single update available except for Internet Explorer 9 which I feel is too buggy and incompatible with many web sites. The only update that refuses to install is Search 4.0. When I try to manually install Terminal Services, I get an error message that installation is not necessary as it is included with SP2 or SP3. Help!!!!
  4. Best answer
    You can try this. First start by trying to start terminal services with

net start TermService

on a command prompt and see if it starts. A fix follows if this doesn't work.

http://www.windowstipspage.com/2010/10/can-not-start-terminal-services.html
  5. Best answer selected by funkeyro.
  6. funkeyro said:
    terminal services is not available in "services" and remote desktop is not available in "my computer" properties dialogue box. Win XP SP3. Result - unable to install Serch 4.0.

@Hawkeye, I have WinXp Home and if you type 'mstsc' (microsoft terminal services (console?)) it will bring up a box named Remote Desktop.

@funkeyro, I had the same issue with a copy of WinXp Pro that came with a replacement computer we had gotten from a person. It looked like some sp2 updates failed which apparently left out 'terminal services' from services.msc and still did not add with a clean sp3 install (although with a not so clean sp2 update I guess sp3 not quite so clean) and as a result cannot add a/v, let a company take control of computer for help, etc. And had same issue with adding terminal services by not being able to find it anywhere on the M$ website since it should already be installed with sp updates.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future plus the great posts prior to this one.

Take care,
    Steve
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Terminal Remote Desktop Windows XP