Please Advise On Media System Build

bird_head

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
Hello, all.

I would like to build a new computer for the following purposes: digital music storage/playback through my home stereo amplifier/speakers, video playback with my HDTV, photo viewing/storage using the TV, web surfing and light to moderate game play. I do not need to watch/record television through this system, nor watch movies as I already have a good surround sound system and satellite TV HD tuner/recorder. I will use the VGA input on my TV and use as a monitor.

This will be my second build, so I have some experience and the first build turned out awesome and has given me several years of near perfect service.

I have chosen the following so far:

NZXT Apollo SILVER NP Silver SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
IOGEAR GKM541RA Silver/Black 104 Normal Keys 13 Function Keys USB RF Wireless Slim Keyboard & Mouse Combo, 33 ft max range
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (x2 for RAID 1 configuration)

How much CPU processing power should I seek and should I go Intel or AMD for this system?
What would be a good motherboard for the CPU recommended?
How much video processing power should I seek since I want to play games?
My HDTV has support for up to 1080i. Would it make sense to get a blu-ray writer, or go with something less?
How about PSU recommendations based on the other recommendations above?

Although I do not have a set budget, I would like to keep it as low as possible and meet my needs.

Thanks very much for the inputs.

Does your TV have HDMI or DVI inputs? If you're not sure you can list the make/model for us to check.

Will you be doing a lot of photo editing? Creating any home video? Those tasks might mean looking at a quad core cpu instead of a dual core CPU.

The case you've chosen is more in line with a gaming system and not a case sitting next to your home theater equipment. Media Center / HTPC Case could also handle the system hardware you're looking to get. Just make sure you measure to make sure it would fit - it's usually deeper than most other home theater units.

bird_head

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005

My TV has only one HDMI input already in use, plus the VGA input. I am guessing Blu-Ray may not work.

Little if any photo editing and no home video. What little photo editing I will do can be accomplished with Picassa or IrfanView.

I would like a media center case, but to get one I like seems expensive. Since I will not be doing much except playing digital music, web surfing, some game play, playing occasional DVD's and watching streaming video, $120 and up seemed a lot just for the case. If I were to select a case of this type, which would you recommend?

I was hoping your TV might have a DVI connector.

Without heavy photo/video editing tasks a mid-range dual core CPU should do fine. And a mid-range video card like the HD 4850 can help keep the cost down to where a nice HTPC case will fit in the budget.
For about $900: Shopping List

SILVERSTONE GD02S Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-EG45M-DS2H G45 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard
Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz Dual-Core CPU
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
POWERCOLOR AX4850 Radeon HD 4850 video card (DVI to VGA adapter in accessory pack)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 HDD
LG 22X DVD Burner SATA
IOGEAR GKM541RA USB RF Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

bird_head

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
WR2, thank you so much for your input. I see no compelling reason why I could not go with your recommendations 100%. It would have taken me a couple of days to figure out what you did in little time at all. What was your reasoning for choosing this particular mobo and graphics card if you don't mind my asking?