Sign in with
Your question

What is the pci-e speed

Last response: in Overclocking
May 30, 2010 2:14:17 PM

i know it's to do with the south or northbridge, but does increasing this clock in amd overdrive increase performance at all of any hardware? Give any FPS increase at all in games? I know that increasing graphics card and cpu clocks gives more performance, but what does increasing the pci-e clock actually do, and give in performance?

More about : pci speed

May 30, 2010 11:29:23 PM

From what I've read online, you won't gain much noticeable speed by increasing your PCI-E clock. Maybe from 100MHz (stock) to 110MHz will give a small boost, but I've heard of people frying their motherboards by going past that. Mine's currently at 120MHz, I'll be bringing it down to 110MHz at some point soon.
m
l
May 31, 2010 12:40:36 AM

there's no voltage option for it then? So it's not a stable thing to touch then, and it's not worth the adjustment at all? When you say small boost what do you mean. Could that be fps increase, of what say 3 fps lol? but would you get a better result from overclocking the graphics card instead? Although my gpu runs hot, but i'm a very mild overclocker so this pci-e thing doesn't sound like a realistic thing to touch.
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2010 4:27:57 AM

I notice no boost game-wise, but for some reason my internet speeds seem to boost. Doesn't really make sense to me, probably just a coincidence. Best to just leave it. If you think it might help, feel free to boost it up to 110MHz. It might be different for your computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 6:10:29 AM

Leave it.

OCing the PCI-E bus is usually a big no-no, as it provides very very little gain (if any).

I don't know if it still applies to current systems, but before, when you increase the PCI bus you increase everything else. Since even the hard drive controllers ran through the PCI bus, if you increased the PCI bus too much, you'll get data corruption when passing data through the controller to the hard drive.
m
l
May 31, 2010 11:48:25 AM

yeah i don't need it then. Just wanted to know what it is then thank you for telling me.
m
l
!