Faulty PSU or something else?

dixonmeister

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm wondering if you can help me narrow down a problem I'm having. My self-built PC is now sporadically and without warning shutting down my XP machine. It's a controlled (but forced) shutdown, not a sudden "blank". Sometimes I'll have been in Windows for a random period of time, sometimes it won't even finishing booting before restarting.

The reason I think it's the Powersupply is that the Antec P160 case has an indicator (below the hard disk indicator) which flashes amber after this happens. I THINK (could be wrong the manual is hopeless) that indicates a PSU issue.

It's a Thermaltake Purepower 500 (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1247&ID=1524#Tab1) which I spec'd out and thought had enough power. From the couple of posts I've read it should have more than enough power to run:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
1 x 500GB Seagate SATA
1 x Sony DRU700A DVD
1 x Sony V200 DVD
GeForce 6600GT AGP
2 x 1GB RAM

As you can see, not the most demanding of systems (used to have 2 more IDE drives to draw more power)

The PSU is "only" 2 years old and I thought it was good enough. Any thoughts on whether it's dead????

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I second the RAM issue, but there could be a much simpler solution. Cet some canned air and blow all the dust out of the case, and PSU. You may use the vacuum attachments to suck up any dust balls in the bottom (just don't touch the motherboard). Also if it is on the floor PUT IT ON THE DESK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dixonmeister

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade the RAM....thanks! ;) Will do on the canned air and vacuum, but can't quite get the P160 onto a desk, it's a huge mutha!

Latest posts