New GA-EP45T-UD3LR Won't Boot

euclid

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
I just purchased some new toys, and I've got a problem getting everything to work. I started off putting together the following:

GA-EP45T-UD3LR motherboard
Corsair CMPSU 620HX PSU
Corsair XMS3 PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
Intel Celeron D 336 2.8GHz CPU (don't laugh! it was just a placeholder...)

Threw it all together, and it powers on, the 4 onboard cpu load led's light up, fans spin, etc. But no video, no post, no beep, nothing. After about 2 or 3 seconds it powers off. 2 or 3 more seconds later it automatically powers back on. Rinse and repeat.

After much troubleshooting, it seems to be the CPU. If I unplug the P4 4-pin from the board, it stays powered on. Taking out other components and it gives the corresponding beep codes (RAM/video). So, I fish up a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz dual core, and sure enough all is well. Install Win 7, run burn-ins, update one of the dual bios's from F2 to F5, etc. Works great. The CPU is just a loaner, so I go purchase a nice little Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz, turn it on, and it turns right back off. Almost the same as with the original Celeron D, but if I let it powercycle itself a few times, the board give me repeated short beeps (power issue according to the manual). I keep rebooting it, and it finally posts and says the bios is corrupted, and it fails over to the other, original F2 bios. It posts again, then freezes before boot. Rebooting a few more times and it randomly switches between locking up during post, and beeping saying there is a power issue.

Anyone gave a good guess? Bad mobo or psu? Bad luck with two bad cpus? I don't have any more spare parts to test with, and I'd like to avoid just guessing and RMA'ing things at random. I Have not breadboxed it, since it works fine with the 3.2Ghz dual core. Same reason I'm sure the ram is fine.

Thanks in advance.

jess_05

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
It sounds to me you have your answer. You are not using the correct cpu or the board is not set for the cpu. It seems I read somewhere celeron processors are only used on specific motherboards. The fact that your motherboard works well with the one processor eliminates everything else.
Take Care,
Jess

euclid

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks for the reply. According to the CPU compatibility list on Gigabyte's website here, all three processors should work with bios version F2 and up (which came stock with this one)

I'm not aware of a way to 'set' this motherboard for different cpu's. All the bios settings are set to auto (multipliers, frequencies, voltages, etc). I can try setting these values manually next chance I get.

euclid

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Manually set CPU values, no change. Purchased and installed new PSU (Thermaltake TR2 RX-550PP): exact same behavior.

neoezn

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
(sorry for my english)

Euclid - it seems I have the same / similar problems with my motherboard...

Here is my configuration:
EP45T-UD3LR, 4GB RAM (2x2GB 1666@1333 OCZ Reaper), Intel Quad 8300 @ 2.5GHz, PSU - Chieftec 560W.

Sometimes (about once per 4-5 days) my computer has problems with boot. It runs in order like below:
- power up (4 diodes are on)
- coolers starting spinning
- and then... mostly... power turns off, coolers stops spinning and boot begins once and once again

One time I had repeating boots for about 15 mins... I have also problems with random reboots during playing games...

morso

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I am also experiencing this problem...

Power on.
the Fans kick and LEDs are on
about 2 secs of this
Power off.
about 5 secs
repeat

MOBO: EP45T-UD3LR
RAM: 4GB 2x2GB DDR3-1333 G.SKILL
CPU: Q8300 @ 2.5 GHz
GPU: XFX 9500 GT

Just ordered EP45T-UD3LR as a replacement board. I've tried about everything I can think of to get this thing to boot. I've tried two different PSUs, two different CPU coolers, reset the BIOS. I hooked up a speaker..no beeps. I know cpu and video card are working; they run on my old board. It's got to be this particular board. It has never booted for me. Q8300 is definitely on the supported cpu list... any ideas??

I recently purchased and built GA-EP43-UD3L at the office; running a Q9300 4GB ram w/ zero problems. That board is solid. I was very impressed by Gigabyte so I decided to build one at the house. I'm not so impressed anymore.

Looks like another RMA. Thanks GIGABYTE!!

morso

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Hmmm...

It appears that I have fixed the problem. Here's what I did....

First, I removed the RAM to see if I could get the board to give some beep messages through my speaker. When I turned it on, sure enough, there was a series of beeps indicating a memory error. Rather than place both chips back in where they were, I placed one of the chips on the 4th socket (DDR3_4). I turned it on... It's alive! Then I turned the power off and inserted the other chip on the corresponding channel 1 DDR3_2 socket (the other pink slot). Again, It booted. It has been up for several hours now and seems to have no trouble booting. I do not understand how the chip placement would prevent booting? The manual says nothing about which sockets or channels to use first, but this did work. I guess this board is built like a toaster.

malweth

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for cluing me in on memory!! I tried a number of different placements and got it to boot with one of my 2GB sticks (Running Corsair DDR3 1333). I then had the genius idea to swap the sticks... still worked, so I put the second stick in the matching slot (pink)......

So my initial (failing with memory errors) configuration:

Slot 1: Stick A
Slot 2: N/A
Slot 3: Stick B
Slot 4: N/A

and my final (working A-OK) config:

Slot 1: Stick B
Slot 2: N/A
Slot 3: Stick A
Slot 4: N/A

-- There was NO chance of the memory not being fully seated... I swapped slots and reseated memory tons of times before I found this working scenario.

viperinc

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

I ran into this problem. The board only supports SL7TW (E0) step code chip. The other two SL8H9 and SL98W are (G1) not supported.

morso

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
This board has been rock-solid since I swaped memory slots. Strange behavior indeed... I am also very sure the memory was seated; I had checked it several times. Just to be clear about my memory arrangement in my WORKING configuration:

Slot 1: -
Slot 2: Stick A
Slot 3: -
Slot 4: Stick B

...and the NON working config:

Slot 1: Stick A
Slot 2: -
Slot 3: Stick B
Slot 4: -

...not quite the same as yours malweth. Nonetheless, checking the memory seems to be a good place to start here.

bigmofus

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Ive been having similar issues:

when i boot up all the LED's on the motherboard are light up. Im getting the beep code indication a power issue. Ive try reseating the memory from 1-3 to 2-4 and no luck. I haven't tried swapping sticks A and B yet i will do that tonight. Here are my system specs:

Case - ROSEWILL|R220-P-BK
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR
CPU - Core 2 Quad 9400
RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Video - SAPPHIRE ATI HD 4870 1 gig
1x DVD-RW Drive
1x 160 Western Digital hard drive
PSU - 550w Antec TP-2

beep codes, LED's on the motherboard, the cycles and rebooting. Any other helpful insight would be great here. I'm gonna take it all apart tonight and see if it will boot with just the mobo/cpu/1 stick of ram. Thanks

bigmofus

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Hey so funny story.. after many different trials.... i finally got it working but its in single channel mode using ram slots 1+2 (1 green + 1 pink) instead of the "dual channel" mode... this is kinda weird but hey if its working its working right? any other thoughts let me know thanks

bigmofus

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
SO i got the system to boot up in single channel mode.. it stayed on long enough so i decided to install a copy of windows i had. This was not neccesarily a reliable copy.. but after it restarted and booted to the main windows screen... it froze. Luckily i think 99% of the OS was installed.. but it did freeze before i think it could finish. But it seems to load up ok.. window screen onto the desktop. I installed Memtest.. ran it for many hours.. past 300% on multiple versions of memtest running.

The computer is STILL Freezing tho.. i dunno where to go from here. Since this all started with the RAM not working in Dual Channel mode.. i thought it would be the issue but memtest says its fine. I know this is probably not the place for this but any advice as to where i should check stuff out? Im considering these possibilities:

-Ram is bad
-Mobo is bad
-Videocard isn't happy about something
- My OS got messed up on the install

The problem is it DOES boot up windows and appears to function fine. Cept for the freezes. Also i dunno if its recoginzing that i have 4 gigs of ram or not. CpuZ notices about 3.75 gigs.. while certain applications i use only notice like 2 gigs. There is 4 gig tho. I dunno any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alex Not Dulles

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

I have analysed a few discussions on Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR motherboards and looks like they have problems in SDRAM controller configuration in BIOS, not properly setting it up for SDRAM from different manufacturers. I'll try to manually setup timing and voltages for RAM in BIOS.

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Hi

I'd same problem with this MB I have 4GB 2*2GB Kingston I installed as Dual mode, but in randomly my OS Windows XP is freezes up, there are no specific time for that, some times works 2 hours or 3 hours without any problems and some times it freezing after 30 min or during windows booting...

I removed one chip, I'm using 2 GB only and it seem working fine for 3 days..

now I asking about final solution for this problem.. or there are any one can ask Gigabyte support..

I'm waiting for that

bilbat

Splendid
Always possible you have a bad stick, but - have you ever done the 'Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS? Kind of a necessary first step - sets that whole kaboodle of 'auto's you see in the memory timings...

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

dear bilbat,

what do u mean "bad stick" ? another thing I didn't play on the BIOS Settings
it's as its.. or should be try this step "Load Optimized Defaults" even there is no changes ??
I tried Memory test and no error really I need something finish this dammshit :fou:

bilbat

Splendid
Might be a bad stick of RAM; what do you use to test?
Old reliable is here - Memtest86+:
http://home.att.net/~chip.programmer/Memtest86/memtest86.211a.iso.zip
To use it, you need to download the file, unzip it to an .ISO file, and burn that ISO to a CD - will make a 'bootable' memory tester - very thorough...

If you need a program or tutorial for burning ISOs, you can find tools/advice here:
http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm
or here:
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm

You do always need to start up a new system with a "Load Optimized Defaults"; it runs a block of BIOS code that 'discovers' the hardware, and sets numerous parameters in the CMOS in accordance with what it finds; your memory sticks contain a little table called an SPD, which contains the desired settings for various bus speeds; until this has been done, your BIOS has a 'poor guess' about what it's trying to run, and is likely to be unstable...

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I used Memtest86 just 2 days before And the 2 Chips Passed the test.. so I well try "Load Optimized Defaults"
today & I will send the feedback
thanx

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Dear Bilbat,

I tried your suggestion about "Load Optimized Defaults" but no changes same problem freezing.... freezing.... freeze , I don't Know what Can I do
I sent this problem to "Gigabyte support team" just from 2 days before I'm waiting for there helping I hope that :heink:

see ya

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Hi,
This scenario still working fine for U ?? no freezing and the OS is booting fine or there are new situation ?

please inform me because I tried the swapping RAM sticks but Nooo hope

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Hi,

I have same MB and 2*2GB Kingston RAM and OS Is freezes up when I used 2 RAMs, but there are nooo Problem when I using 1 RAM ...... what about your idea its worked or not please inform me for any feedback

thanx

Drsoe82

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Dear Viperinc,

What do U mean about the supported chip , how can I know if I having this which is supported or not. please explain this idea.

thanx

bilbat

Splendid
Memory problems -
If a couple people will do the following, I'll try to get a bit more of an idea of what's actually happening...

Go here:
http://www.cpuid.com/
to get a copy of CPU-Z, and post the following screen:
0036i.jpg

then fill out the following from your BIOS

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ...... [____]

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
Performance Enhance...... [____]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) ...... [____]
(G)MCH Frequency Latch ...... [____]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ...... [____]

>>>>> Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time 5 Auto
tRCD ...... [____]
tRP ...... [____]
tRAS ...... [____]
tRCD ...... [____]

> Advanced Timing Control [Press Enter]
x tRRD ...... [____]
x tWTR ...... [____]
x tWR ...... [____]
x tRFC ...... [____]
x tRTP ...... [____]
Command Rate ...... [____]

What do U mean about the supported chip , how can I know if I having this which is supported or not. please explain this idea.

You will find the list of supported CPUs here:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2958
along with the BIOS revision required by each. No processor design is perfect. As improvements are made to the product for functional (bug) fixes or manufacturing improvements, the stepping number will increase; often later steps will overclock better; sometimes these steppings change functional aspects of the processor, requiring corresponding changes in the BIOS.