Removing the "printer on mycomputer" from shared printer

vmasia

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
We use a program to print off of our workstations and we want to reduce the amount of large printers we use so we want to do a network share of them. The issue we are running into is in XP when you share a printer and add it on the networked workstation it shows up as "bigprinter on thiscomputer" the problem is our application cant use this printer becuse the name has the extra "on thiscomputer" and it can only use a printer with just "bigprinter" in the name. Is the a reg edit, script or other menu option i have over looked that could solve this issue.

Thanks for the help!!

vmasia

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
The workst all connect to the shared printer, with no issue, just the application does not see the printers due to the added info by windows for a networked printer, now I have no way of getting at any code for the app, and not sure abot a Batch becuse it has to be automatted and in the background and fast becuse the app is the ui and everything u can't get at windows when it's running.

vmasia

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009

I can do any network options becuse its a usb printer its being shared from our main workst. If that is what your meaning.