Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I've recently upgraded my system. I am using an AMD PhenomIIx4 3.0ghz black edition. I've started toying (slightly) with OC'n. MB I'm using is a gigabyte GA-MA785-US2H My concern is cpu emps. The cpu cooler I'm using is not top of the line by no means but it should be adequate. But my cpu temps without oc'n are 68-70C according to the motherboard hardware monitor. A modest oc with multiplier set at x15.5 yields a clock of 3.1ghz with no increase in temps. I guess my biggest question is what's the highest temp I can expect to remain stable at? I'm going to need a better cooler I know but for now.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Are you saying your temps are high 50s at idle? If so those temps seem really high, even for stock cooling. Before overclocking, I'd make sure you've properly spread thermo paste and make sure you've got adequate ventilation in your case. I'm not a big time overclocker, I've got an i5 going at about 3.4ghz and I'm 30+ on idle and mid to high 40s under load. I've got a CM hyper 212+, a pretty good investment for $30 that keeps temps down pretty well for such a cheap cooler.

rajiv babu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Hey, I too got the same mobo but a different processor(Phenom II x4 920).
I too was too much concerned about my temps cuz when playin GTA IV, it used to reach 66* C. I bought a new cooler, not top of the line( CM Hyper tx3).
Now, i've OC'ed to 3.4 Ghz and the temps are stayin @ 63 max and my idle temps are 50.
According to AMD's website, the max temp. of your processor is 62* C.

Have you applied Thermal Paste before installing the cooler? Which is your cooler? What type of a case have you got? Try uploading some pics.
You could also try the lapping guides here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252168-11-heatsink-lapping-guides
Best wishes.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
My temps at idle are mid 50's. I'm using a rocketfish RF-UPCUWR cooler. Not top of the line either but it should be doing better tan this. I think tomorrow I'll pull it off and check the compound. I'm thinking I need better stuff. I've got a case fan too. Runs all the time. I wish it wouldn't.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
OK so I pulled the MB back out and took off the heatsink/fan. It's been a few years since I built my own machine and I must admit I haven't kept up. So I followed the manufacturer instructions on installation. I should have done it my way. I found when I pulled off the HS that the thermal compound had only covered the very center of the processor! The rest was dry. Lucky it didn't melt down. Now I have my 3ghz over clocked to 3.5ghz and 1.36volts my temps are high forties at idle and 60-63c under full load. This is as far as I go with standard cooling. Next I'll try an "entry level" water cooler. By that I mean something like Corsair - Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler. For now it seems I'm good. Thanks for the help.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Sweet man. Def. still seems a bit high but much better than your first post. Def. get an aftermarket cooler and spread that paste thin and evenly across the chip. Glad you got it sorted out. I'd maybe see if you can add another fan as well if you can fit it.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

My cpu cooler came with clips to allow me to put a second fan on it. Might just do it. Further tinkering has got my idle temps down to mid 30's. I haven't stressed it yet to see how it will do under load. Likely high 50's though. On the up side my old P4 would take all night to convert 10 avi's to divx. This thing will do it in less than an hour. Sweet.