Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Is it better in terms of saving money, getting more bang for buck and better for furture upgrades to for now get a system such as

P45 motherboard
High end core duo or low end quad
Cheap bang for buck DDR2 RAM
Bang for buck HD 640gb
Simple DVD writer
Bang for buck Graphics card
vista home premium 64bit

Or is it better to get a more expensive system such as

i7 CPU, with there MOBO and DDR3 ram, and the rest being bang for buck.

What im asking is if you never had a PC would you go for the more expensive choice or a more bang for buck system like the first option. Obvisually the second option will cost more but is it better in terms of price/performance.

Or would it be better to choose the first option, leaving you with some spear cash that you can then upgrade some parts, probally just the CPU MOBO RAM and GHX card, and you could then sell the old parts you will replace to help buy for the new.

What would you do, if you know what im trying to say. Whats the most wise choice, even if you had lots of money.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
First question, what do you want the system to do? If you look at say gaming benchmarks for example, there may not be a whole lot of difference between say the LGA 775 socket chips from intel vs the i7, however, with the 775 socket, you will be limited in upgradeability down the road. It depends what you want.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Yes Id be using the system of gaming. As you said I will be limited in upgradeability with a 755 socket, would it be better though to switch to all this new stuff once it becomes mainstream.(how long woud you expect this to be?) Is it better to get the best of the hardware in terms of CPU MOBO and RAM right now, or wait to get the most from your money and spend the good ammount for good performance for the furture. (hard to understand)

Is all these New i7 CPUs MOBOS DDR3 RAM all over priced?, is it better to wait.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Right now stuff for i7 will probably be overpriced. The nice thing about the older stuff it's matured a bit, so yeah, even if it's slightly slower, you are saving money, could potentially get something more stable, and by the time you want to upgrade again, i7 may be where the 775 stuff is now. But it's a call you have to make if you have to have the latest and greatest, or save some cash.