Intel core i7 930 too hot??

G

Hi..
Im having the following configuration...

Case: Ventmax IC_VM_BK
Power supply: OCZ ModXstream 700W
Mother Board: ASUS P6X58D-E
Processor: Intel Core i7-930
Ram: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Memory Kit
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H50 Liquid cooling system CPU heat exchanger with integrated pump
Hard Drive: 2 x WD Caviar Black 640 GB Internal hard drive - 300 MBps - 7200 rpm (this is 32MB cache version)
Graphics: Quadro FX 580 512MB

With the processor running at 2.8GHz (not overclocked) the temperatures of all my cores is around 60-63 degrees Celsius when LinX test is running.

I have overclocked the processor to 3.8GHz (193MHz x 20). I use LinX to check for stability. While LinX is testing, the CPU is constant at 100% usage and the temperatures of all my cores are around 80-80 degrees Celsius.. is that normal? (I cannot reduce CPU voltage, it might lose stability)

Please advice, also I cannot afford to change any hardware components.

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
^ + 1 For RJR's Suggestion.

Just remember some chips do perform worse than others, they aren't all created equal. some chips don't have huge OC headroom.
Those ones with the brighter eyes and shinier coats will overclock better than the ones with a skew eye and the weird twitch. While in reality the "Duds" (one of which might be your processor [i shudder and spit at the idea]) usually get a lower clock rating and are turned into lower spec chips...

So just also be ready to accept the fact that you chip might just top out at around 3.4 GHZ...

Good luck and i hope that isn't the case

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Fisshy, man I'm starting to worry about you, he's already had it to 3.8 GHz and his only problem is heat.

Are you on some kind of new meds we should worry about?

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
IF his problem is heat and hes Using a H50 with push pull He doesn't have a stable OC @ 3.8Ghz does he?

My theory is that when he reduces the clock speed he should lower temps (assuming the fact that he has deactivated turbo boost and HT)?

No new meds... just fell of my bike the other day, thank god for expensive helmets[:fisshy:2]