THE BEST heatsink under $40 USD (incl. shipping)?

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hello everyone, as stated my budget is $40 (including shipping). That means it would obviously help to get something with free shipping, but if you find one that fits within $40 it's fine!!

Preferred site: Any as long as it's within the budget! :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-920, Currently runs at 45-55 C with stock heatsink+fan depending on where I clock it. I am trying to run it at 4 GHz but I can't do that safely unless I get a new heatsink+fan. Right now I am at 3.6 GHz.

Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme

RAM: 3x2gb OCZ3P1600LV6GK

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Illusion

This is the one I have had in mind: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler

If you need to know anything else tell me! Other than that, I just need to know what the best cooler would be for my budget of $40 USD (including shipping). Obviously I just want to lower the temps as much as possible, so if you know for sure of a cooler that fits my budget and will give me good results, please let me know! :)

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey notty, 2 things.. :)

1) That link you gave me doesn't work. I went to microcenter website and I do not see that product anywhere.. Can you please link me to the microcenter product page for that heatsink?

2) How would you compare it to this?: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler

Also, SORRY I FORGOT TO NOTE: I am trying to run it at 4 GHz but I can't do that safely unless I get a new heatsink+fan. Right now I am at 3.6 GHz.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
In that price range you have the 212+ or the CCF, both are good coolers for the money and both will do a MUCH better job than Arctic Cooling Freezer.

If you can find the 212+ for under $30, you aren't going to beat it for the money.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

I would pick up a second fan for it, unless you have one laying around, the push-pull will help with the i7's heat output.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I agree with the suggestions on the 212+. I don't own one, but I have heard great things about it. This site definitely thinks very highly of that particular heatsink. Plus, you really can't go wrong with its awesome price.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Sunbeamcore 120mm is what I have. I bought it for $40-$15mail in rebate=$25

What I like about this compared to the hyper 212 is it comes with awesome thermal grease. Comes with the Tuniq TX-2 Thermal which is better than what coolermaster gives.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
The hyper 212 has a larger heatsink than the n520. I had the N520 and it came with two fans, but it was smaller.

I think it's a toss up between coolermaster 212 vs the sunbeamtech 120mm. The Coolermaster 212 allows you to put a second fan on it while the sunbeamtech comes with better thermal paste.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Here is the sunbeamtech

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

Pros: comes with good thermal grease Tuniq TX-2. Comes with a fan controller that installs into a pci slot.
Cons: can only attach 1 fan(unless you use zipties to hook on another fan

Heres the coolermaster 212(don't buy from newegg, they raised price to $45 now. You can get cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Pros: can attach second fan(optional)
Cons: The thermal grease coolermaster gives out is not as good as the tuniq tx2 you get with sunbeam tech.

Just wanted to add that the sunbeamtech didn't require me to remove the back plate on my AM3 motherboard. It clipped right on. The coolermaster 212 requires removal of backplate.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks tuesday!

So far I am leaning towards the Hyper 212 Plus from Cooler Master. The only concern I have is removing my old thermal paste and reapplying the new one.. I hope I do it right! Anyway, anyone else please continue to give opinions on the best cpu heatsink+fan for $40 or less (including shipping)!!

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hyper 212 Plus vs. Cogage True Spirit vs. Core Contact Freezer 120

...thoughts? I am really torn between a few choices right now.. I know a lot of people are recommending the Hyper 212 plus, but the thing is that when I use google shopping results I am seeing plenty of choices for $40 or under!

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yep, that's why I am so torn...I am really seeing different opinions on the best cooler for my budget.. I just don't know which one to pick!!

How do you guys feel about Noctua? Something tells me they are really good, but the cheaper ones get outperformed by other brands..

Please, everyone, continue to help me! :p

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I appreciate the input you have given 4745454b, but I am very picky about what I spend money on. I never take money for granted anymore (not saying that you do). I want to get something that will be the BEST for my budget; I don't want any regrets. That is why I am going through this process of getting as much input as I possibly can.

That being said, I am still unsure if I should get the Hyper 212 Plus, Cogage True Spirit, Sunbeam 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer...OR anything else..I am just not sure yet.. This is the first time I am looking into heatsinks...

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus: 21.2 - 76.8 CFM

Sunbeam 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer: 90.65 CFM (Max)

Cogage True Spirit 120mm: 35 - 66.5CFM

I would think that the best thing to go by is the CFM value..Right? Does the highest CFM equate to the best cooling?

I would greatly appreciate anyone else giving their opinions or reviews or test results on the best cooling I can get for my budget! Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out! :)

4745454b

Titan
You could think that. 90.65 being pointed at a brick of aluminum isn't going to cool as well as a 55CFM being sent through a well designed set of fins. Besides, if the fan dies you'll have to replace it, and if you can't find that 90.65 miracle fan what then?

Have you seen this link?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/02/05/tuniq_propeller_vs_thermalright_venemous_x/4

I would argue that all those coolers that have a load temp of 37-39 degrees are equal. The next grouping are those that are 44-45, with the last grouping from 51+. This means all those in the first "group" should be considered the same. Your talking about a degree, perhaps two difference between them. I doubt you will ever see/feel it. If you want the "best" of those thats under $40 including shipping, start at the top and work your way down. True spirit is out as its over $40 once you have shipping in, unless you can buy it somewhere else then the link you provided. As seen in the OC'd graph, it is a great cooler however.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for that link, I am checking it out now! :)

I wish they included the Hyper 212 Plus and the other ones that I have been looking at, though! Either way I appreciate you trying to help! Please let me know if you see anything else that compares and will help me decide. :)

As far as the True Spirit, I only used that link for reference, there are places that sell cheaper though. :)

UPDATE: I think I may have it narrowed down to two choices, but FEEL FREE to give me any other options if you feel like I am overlooking any!!

1) Thermalright Cogage True Spirit

2) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

3) Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer

4745454b

Titan
Because it performed so well on the OC test I really like the spirit. When there is LOTS of heat being pumped out, the spirit can handle it. Under stock situations however you can see that its not "the best". I still argue that any of those in that main cluster will be fine. Find one that's <$40 shipped and you have your sink.

For the record I like spending as little as possible on a computer. I also just bought the Hyper 212. Didn't spend a lot of thought on it, was more of an impulse buy.

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks Davcon, I would actually like to keep price out of the picture when comparing these final two choices!

So with price aside--Which is the better choice?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus WITH Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound..

-OR-

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer with thermal grease that it comes with (TX-2 Thermal Grease)..

Remember, don't even consider price. I just want to know which option people think will lower my temps the most!

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Back when I was looking at a/m coolers it was between the 212 and the ccf for me also. With my older case overall cooler height was the deciding factor me. I love my ccf, but if had plenty of clearance I would have bought the 212. With thee ability to mount a second pull fan on the 212 you could drop temps another 3 or 4c. (I think that's about what 212 owners have said??) With that second fan it might catch up to the ccf lol j/k. If your going after 4GHz, I would think the 212 and 2 fans would do a better job.

As a side note, I was trying to help a ccf owner on another forum who was getting higher temps than desired. He finally gave up on the ccf and bought a H50. He reported 4c drop at idle and 8c on load, which is still higher than my rig at a similar oc and similar ambient AND he has a better case. Guess that just "shows to go ye" every rig is different...