My next new computer * Updated*

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Old system died so changed plans. See new posts

I have been busy gaming and missed this place, so I'm Back. Built the last system 1-2 years back and runs ok, the Drive died. (No more Cheap Maxtors) But it does the job.

New system will move every thing up a notch, no parts from old system. I do have some other new parts that were not used that I am going to use now.

Use Gaming (WOW) and lots of multi-tasking. I always have 6 windows open with many tabs on the browser. Switching is sluggish so more memory is a key. I will also make the jump to Quads. Good Ghaphics card to support a larger Monitor soon and all the pieces to tie it together.

I have: Antec 900 and PPC 1k the orange beast(do not see it listed on Newegg).

What I am thinking and comparing: Motherboards =
Asus P5Q deluxe
Asus P5Q Pro
Gigabyte UD3P
Gigabyte UD3R

CPUS =
Q6600
Q9550

GPUs =

Memory = G.Skill 4GB

HDD = WD 750

DVD = LG Burner

Feel free to tell me a better model or why something is better. Thanks in advance!

Based on your motherboard choices (G45 chipset, single PCI-e x16 slot) you're looking more at home theater options than gaming or overclocking options?
If that is not the case you probably want to look at P45 motherboards.
Better overclocking potential and 2nd PCI-e x16 slot for possible Crossfire setup.
Since the 4870 and GTX260 are so closely matched in performance it makes sense to go with the P45 motherboard and 4870 to have the option to add a 2nd 4870.

What size/resolution "larger monitor" are you looking at?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Just the type of help I needed. I was sure the links were broken but did not see a way to fix until now. RE-loaded the MB choices. How did we do?

Looking better. I like the Asus P5Q Pro, Q6600 and 4870 combo for the best "bang for buck".

Go ahead and list the other parts you plan to use for this build and let people look them over for a compatibility check.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
added my case.

Going 64 bit OS Vista 64 OEM

I am thinking of using a Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler I bought with last build.

Not sure about audio, I use headset all the time, so on board should be fine.

Have the other little things, not sure what I am missing.

optional22

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
A wireless card maybe?

If you multitask a lot and have a lot of windows open, maybe you should look at 8 gigs of RAM since RAM is dirt cheap nowadays.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
See why I love this place. My computer sits right next to a router, the on board GB ethernet is fine.

Good point on the RAM, I was looking for the correct set to buy, two of them works for me. I been hearing G. Skill Black is among the best and as you said, even great RAM is dirt cheap.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I'd go with Q6600 over Q9550 since it has a higher 9x multiplier and higher stepping.

I'd go with P5Q Deluxe to overclock on its 16 phase power.

4870 video card to allow for Crossfire, unless you really like those new 55nm Core 216's. Consider the Sapphire Toxic edition of the 4870 for its heatpipe cooler.

Western Digital Caviar Black over SE 16 because they're faster, and instead of 750GB, go with 1TB over 640GB over 750GB for highest platter density.

+1 on 8GB of G.Skill Pi Black.

+1 for the 8GB GSkill PI. The Q6600 + P5Q Pro + 4870 is a good set up. As for HDD depending on the space you need get 2*640GB WD AAKS in RAID (Puts them in the same league as the old Raptors). As far as cooling go take a look in to XIGMATEK S1283.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
We have 2 votes for the Asus pro and 1 vote for the deluxe.

One drive is plenty; so the 640GB Works.

Like the looks of this Samsung 24". I will usually go to Fry's and find a monitor to save shipping ( and to see all the gear!)

Q6600 and a 4870 1gb

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
My "old" system died. It started with the HD, I think. I put in a new one and try to boot. Lights and fans but no Boot. Look at everything and can't figure out the problem. Took it back to the shop that cleaned it up and aid to replace the HD. They play with it and now the MB is gone and probably the CPU. Asked about options and figured #3 was best. New P45 MB (probably an MSI) and a Q6600. Not much more than doing it myself and they can do it now, as I am swamped at work.
So, I end up with a good "Old" system and allows me to slowly build up an I7 build that will be better then what I was first thinking. Thanks for the support and ideas, will use alot of them in the coming couple months.