I5 750 strange phenomenon at 180blck

Hi all. I've been doing a lot of overclocking and testing with my i5. My main goal is to be able to use turbo and all the power saving features on. On my ASUS P7P55D PRO mobo it's so far a lot easier to OC than on my MSI P55GD65 (which I had to exchange for the ASUS). Anyway, I've noticed a wierd phenomenon. So, I wanted to get 180bclk to make the most of my CL9 memory timing (certified for 1600mhz CL8, so this is 1800mhz CL9). It required 1.35 Vcore and 1.2 Vtt. I decided that I didn't really like it tho because temps were up to about 71C in Intel Burn Test. So I set all the voltages back to auto and 170 bclk... booted fine, passed IBT. Then, I opened up ASUS TurboV EVO which is an overclocking app in windows. Basically I like it for quick tests and then I make the permanent changes in the BIOS. Anyway, I didn't touch voltages but set the bclk to 175. Passed IBT. 177 passed. 178 passed. 179 passed. 180 crash. Does this seem wierd? I should point out as well that the auto vcore is 1.26V and the Vtt is 1.17V iirc (I'll check it in a moment) but anyway, does this seem odd?

Solution
Nope, no noise at all on the Gigabyte. I read that before with some of the Asus boards, but like you say disabling the C-states seems to take care of it so it didn't really bother me.

Prime all night and 62c max, YEP sounds like your in good shape, congrates!

Update: Ok so while it definitely did work as I said using the ASUS program to OC in windows, after setting 179 in BIOS it crashed at login. Same with 178. I then set it to 175 and so far so good. Anyway, apparently this is some kind of magical threshold lol.

Oh and Vtt is 1.206V. I'll work on lowering that next, if possible.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wolf, I was debating about that exact board vs the gigabyte I bought. Your board has more phases but fewer capacitors than the gigabyte (UD4P). My board has terrible vdroop, but with the extra capacitors I feel safe using LLC, SO, I was just wondering what kind of vdroop do you see with your board???

Don't know what to tell you with the 180 bclk though, aint OCing fun, if it worked every time with every setting, it wouldn't be any fun :D

I'm actually not seeing any vcore drop at all but the wierd thing is I can only see vcore in the Asus Probe app. HWMonitor isn't showing much info at all. I havn't concerned myself with it as I can still see temps in CoreTemp but if you know of another voltage monitoring app let me know.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I just use CPU-Z to monitor my vcore.

I knew I should have stuck with Asus, I've always used Asus boards in the past, the vdroop on my Giga is .12v at load, but the LLC works pretty good. Might have to try the D-E Pro one of these days if I happen to have an extra $200 burning a hole in my pocket (like that's gonna happen :( ).

Well CPUZ has the vcore area greyed out so no info there. It's pretty wierd. I wonder if maybe I turned the SMART monitoring off in BIOS or something... I'll have to check. Anyway, I didn't play with LLC so it's just on Auto and this board doesn't really have a specific V Droop setting it seems to be incorporated with the LLC option. On my last mobo, MSI P55GD65, there was a pretty significant V droop. I'm surprised this board doesn't seem to have one so I'm definitely going to check out the BIOS settings as I'd love to see HWMonitor voltages and power consumption.

As to my OC, I ended up getting BSOD while gaming after trying to adjust the voltages a bit. Vtt seems to work best on auto which sets it to around 1.206V sometimes (in the BIOS it shows "current voltage") it goes up to about 1.22 or down to about 1.18 seems like random little fluctuations but I feel ok with that setting as it's right on the Intel max spec. As to Vcore, I had to boost it a little so I think it's at 1.3V in that area. I ran Prime95 all night without issues max temp was 62C so I think overall it's finally nice and stable. Plus, it's still 4.2ghz with 1/2 cores :) and with the 175 multiplier, it matches my RAM OC profile at 1400mhz CL7 which is nice (it's 1600mhz CL8 RAM but the XMP 1 profile has 1400mhz and 1333mhz settings so I copied the timings from Everest). I prefer that than running at 1750mhz CL9.

One issue with the current Asus boards tho is that they have a squeal at idle. I've read that some boards don't but it seems most of these i5/i7 boards do have it. I managed to get rid of it by setting the C State limit to C3. C6 seems to have caused it. Others have reported it went away with disabling C1E and others said they had to completely disable C states. Pretty wierd. I'm curious if you notice anything like that on your Gigabyte mobo? My MSI board was quiet.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nope, no noise at all on the Gigabyte. I read that before with some of the Asus boards, but like you say disabling the C-states seems to take care of it so it didn't really bother me.

Prime all night and 62c max, YEP sounds like your in good shape, congrates!

Solution

Slayer697

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I'm looking to overclock my i5-750 on an ASUS P7P55D-E PRO and was wondering where I could find the information needed to overclock properly. I've got a basic grasp on the process and have read a couple guides, but I'm a little confused about which bios settings are okay to change and which should be left alone.

For example, when I enter my bios and go to manually change my clock, it won't let me change my BCLK even though I set the settings to MANUAL.

Slayer697

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

No, it's just ASUS being lazy with it's documentation. The tooltip for BCLK says you hit enter to change the setting, but that's not how it's done. To change it you have to use +/- exclusively. A number of the settings were like this and so it appeared as though things weren't working as intended when it was just a bad tooltip.

Hmm well for bclk on my board I can enter a number but for the multiplier it's +/-. Could be board or BIOS specific. Don't feel bad tho, took me a while to figure out how to change the multi on my last MSI board. When I finally hit the +/- it was like oh... duh... ><