8800GT Over Clocking

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
May 31, 2010 3:56:13 AM

I have had my 8800GT since late 2007 and have done my own results on it's OC limits but I finally decided to read up a little on what other people say and I see them warning about OCing the memory clock.

Most of them say 950 mhz is fine but anything over 1000mhz will damage the card over a period of time.

Maybe I have got some special GPU but I have played for hours with a 1083 mhz memory clock and had no problems.

The max I can usually go for stability, on stock BFG cooler (different for certain games) is;

Core Clock; 725 mhz

Shader Clock; 1819 mhz

Memory Clock; 1083 mhz

Should I be careful with memory clock speed? I have been using this card for almost 3 years with no problems.
But I don't usually keep the high clock speed unless I am playing a game like Crysis or Metro 2033.

More about : 8800gt clocking

May 31, 2010 9:06:42 PM

I just got rid of same card , BFG cooler is awful if you get a bit of dust in it .
Fitted a Zalman VF900 only stuck the 6 heat sinks it came with on and run very very cool .
Comes with adjustable fan control unit .
Payed £10 from PC world of all places . End of line stock !
Got near your oc speeds but prefer a happy medium .
Card is still going strong , thinking of ebaying but might keep as back-up
m
l
June 2, 2010 6:11:45 AM

challenging said:
I just got rid of same card , BFG cooler is awful if you get a bit of dust in it .
Fitted a Zalman VF900 only stuck the 6 heat sinks it came with on and run very very cool .
Comes with adjustable fan control unit .
Payed £10 from PC world of all places . End of line stock !
Got near your oc speeds but prefer a happy medium .
Card is still going strong , thinking of ebaying but might keep as back-up

Yah the fan is not that great but I have a lifetime warranty with BFG. They already replaced my power supply for onyl the price of shipping it to them and they gave me a better one.

The 8800GT is Nvidia's godsend I hope they release another one like it in the future.
Maybe the GTX 500 series will have one.

But my main question is if it's ok to OC the memory clock over 1000 mhz?
m
l
!