Changing IE6's auto open feature

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Somehow today someone got on my computer at home and changed the setting to
have IE6 auto run a file once it's been downloaded. For example any *.zip
files are automatically opened rather than saved and I can't figure out for
the life of me where to change it so that it prompts me to ask where I want
to save it too.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Brad

Get your very own Free and Personal E-mail account for life @
http://www.modemnet.net

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Brad,

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types/[File Type in
Question]/Advanced. Put a check in the box that reads: Confirm open after
download.

Enable Always Ask Before Opening... (Line 164)

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Bradley Walker" <bawalkerNO@SPAMmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> Somehow today someone got on my computer at home and changed the setting
> have IE6 auto run a file once it's been downloaded. For example any *.zip
> files are automatically opened rather than saved and I can't figure out
> for
> the life of me where to change it so that it prompts me to ask where I
> want
> to save it too.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions??
>
> Brad

> Get your very own Free and Personal E-mail account for life @
> http://www.modemnet.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks! I knew it had to be something simple, I was looking inside of IE
rather than folder options.

> Hi Brad,
>
> Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types/[File Type in
> Question]/Advanced. Put a check in the box that reads: Confirm open after
> download.
>
> Enable Always Ask Before Opening... (Line 164)

> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Bradley Walker" <bawalkerNO@SPAMmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> > Somehow today someone got on my computer at home and changed the setting
> > have IE6 auto run a file once it's been downloaded. For example any
*.zip
> > files are automatically opened rather than saved and I can't figure out
> > for
> > the life of me where to change it so that it prompts me to ask where I
> > want
> > to save it too.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions??
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > --
> > Get your very own Free and Personal E-mail account for life @
> > http://www.modemnet.net

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Most welcome. :eek:)