Unbelievably high CPU temp?

ibaird

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I have had my Gateway P-7811FX for about 8 months now and it has been amazing. Within this last month though, I have witnessed it gone to hell. Games like CS 1.6, non-graphically intensive games, stutter in FPS. Going from over 100 FPS down to 50 and even further from there. I originally thought it was adware, but after a scan and clean, I still had issues. I followed this up with a virus scan and then finally by defragmenting the drive, but still to no avail. I finally made the decision last night to ditch the Vista gaming and downgrade my laptop to XP. I, along with a large community of people, were amazed by the performance boost. I am the first to report poor performance issues after an XP downgrade.

I finally came to the conclusion that it has to be a hardware issue with my laptop. It runs games smoothly for about an hour, maybe less and then the lag kicks in. I ran Everist and under the CPUID tab I found my CPU temp....It was, and still is, as of now, running at 105 degrees C. I would assume my laptop would be melting, or at the very least, scolding hot, but I feel very minimal heat.

I was hoping someone could reinforce my opinion that my CPU is simply overheating and that is causing this performance issue. I want to know if I can simply apply new heat grease to it or if I should really just send it in for an overhaul, seeing how it still should be under warranty. I'd prefer not to go weeks without my laptop and voiding the warranty isn't a huge deal to me.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

ibaird

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Seems like some air duster would be a quick fix. =P Thanks, we'll try that out before doing anything drastic.

ibaird

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
So turns out I'm an idiot and what I was looking at was CPU max temp. Still having the same issues, but at least I know my CPU isn't about to melt.

G

Download SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and play CS. Speedfan will record the highest temperature of all your components. Just put the cursor over the component and it will tell you the maximum,minimum and average that has been reached.Check it out after games shutter(SpeedFan should be running before you open the game ).If all temperatures turn out to be good,I think the problem is in your graphics card.If you have warranty, its really better to let them check it out.Try updating your graphics drivers too.Check the CPU speed using CpuZ when things start shuttering.There are lots of possibilities.
Good luck.

Check your gpu temps, it may be there. It could also be a psu as well.. Make sure everythings clean of dust, and make sure all your connections are good. It could be the nVidia gpu problem of overheating. See if theres been a bios update for your pc, as it may contain a higher fan speed rate for your lappy, and your card could be overheating. If you do have any kind of fan control, use it, as it sounds like overheating

coolito

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

I have the exact same laptop and had the exact same problems. After trying all sorts of crap, i eventually started taking the damn thing apart..wow there's a panel easily removed covering the heat pipe/heat sink that cools both cores of the cpu. Take a few screws out of that bad boy and "Well holy shat"...its totally clogged up! Cleaned that mofo.. fixed it immediately. Running great like when we first bought them :). oh yah dont forget to get a new tube of heatsink thermal paste...cause mine was charcoal and yours prolly will be 2.