Graphic Issues with new build 780i and SLI 8800gtx - Need Guidance

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance on what to do with a new build I did for my brother for xmas. The issue is that periodicly it gets artifacting in 3dmark06 and what looks like groups of white dashes in windows and post/bios screens. First the build:

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

2 BFG 8800 GTXs running in SLI Mode

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

The issues arise mostly at random. The only thing that seemed to make it happen more often is standing the case upright, which would suggest a seating issue. However, last night we got a blue screen and windows would not boot in any mode normal or safe, so rebuilt of windows xp. After re-installation of the geforce 178 drivers instead of 180, my brother was able to play 4 straight hours of COD WAW with no issues. At this point I am completely unsure of what is wrong, if it hasn't been fixed already. The dashes in post/bios screens I think would suggest it is not a driver issue. Im pretty sure its not a power supply issue, so what else does that leave? Does anyone know of a Video card testing tool with error logging that I could use to help me out? If it is in fact a seating issue and I need to RMA the motherboard I need to do so soon as it only has a 30day RMA policy from newegg. Im going to go back over there today for a little while and try to narrow down the source of the issue.

Any help or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated as Im just lost at this point. Thank you

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I would check every conection,pull one video card out for now,make sure m/b isnt makeing contact with case in some strange way . Look for loose screw or debris?

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Yes, I get the white groups of dashes while looking at the bios, post screens and windows at random. Refreshing the sceen by opening up any program in windows or going to a another menu selection in the bios makes it go away for a while. It happens at random without any reason from what I can tell. I know for a fact one one of the 8800gtxs is good, because Ive been using it for months without issue. When I took it out of SLI mode with just that card installed I was still getting the same issue.

Edit - I will check the connections as you said, but Im sorry should have mentioned that the case is a lexan case if that matters.

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Wow that sucks.Sounds like m/b is bad.I dont think when your in the bios the graphics card does anything,but still its in the link between monitor and m/b so could be.So both cards,one at atime do same thing?

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Yes. I tried every combination of both or each one. each time I get the same same random results. I just got out of the shower, so Im going to head over there in a few minutes. Im bring my camera, so I can get some pictures for you guys.

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Hmm.the fact it played cod for 4 hours I think rules out the gpus.I heard that lexan cases somtimes have poor fit and finnish,meaning things dont fit together very well.If moving case around changes things makes me think its a loose...well somthing.Also, Has this happend since the new drivers were installed?

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Yes, I haven't been able, since the xp reload, to get 3dmark06 to run threw without artifacting and freezing the OS. Im here at my brothers now on his daughters laptop, so im going to run 3dmark to start with and go on to the hardware.

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
The dashes have lessened since the we where moveing around the vid cards. I haven't seen it since yesterday morning. 3dmark went threw ne run, then on the second run It died in the first test, and showed a weird screen:

http://www.njdrew.com/tomshardware/DSCN1405.JPG

Then it flashed black screen for a bit and I got a windows error The nv4_disp display has stopped working normally. Save you work reboot... etc.

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Edit - Also I got a message from 3dmark - IDirect3DDevice9: Present Driver Failed: Driver internal error (D3DERR_DRiVER INTERNAL ERROR)

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I honestly dont know. I used what was on the cd.

and yes your right my direct x was out of date. I installed the latest and windows is now running acouple more updates.

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Im downloading nvidias 180 drivers now. So now direct x and windows are both fully up to date. I will install 180 and try again, then let you know how i do. Thank you for help with this. I always get a head of myself trying to fix pc issues.

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
another thing thats easy to miss are bios settings not auto setting things correctly.Take a look at everything closely make sure primary graphics is set to pci-express not pci etc,also check mem settings match manufacturers settings often this must be set manualy.