Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XFX 9800GTX+ or HD4850(no OC) ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 21, 2009 5:18:11 AM

i hav thermaltake 500W psu :pfff:  thatz da problemo... :cry: 

pls hlp...my range was withen $150 but i extenD it $169 and find 2 card in new egg
1. XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
2. XFX Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

i m almost new in da gaming warld.. :bounce:  soo pls hlp..

More about : xfx 9800gtx hd4850

a c 130 U Graphics card
January 21, 2009 6:48:11 AM

Well if i googled your PSU right it has one 6 pin PCIE cable and 2 +12V rails 1 of 15A and 1 of 14A.
That would be enough to run a 4850 but not the 9800GTX which needs 2x 6 pin PCIE connectors. Now in truth the cards use about the same amount of power and you can get a connector that will convert 2 "Molex" connectors (4 pin blocks) to another PCIE connection.
Personally i would go with the 4850 on that PSU as the 9800 card you are looking at is the black edition which will use more power than the standard card which i compared the power usage on as i couldnt find one for the Black edition.

Mactronix
January 21, 2009 6:58:16 AM

mactronix said:
Well if i googled your PSU right it has one 6 pin PCIE cable and 2 +12V rails 1 of 15A and 1 of 14A.
That would be enough to run a 4850 but not the 9800GTX which needs 2x 6 pin PCIE connectors. Now in truth the cards use about the same amount of power and you can get a connector that will convert 2 "Molex" connectors (4 pin blocks) to another PCIE connection.
Personally i would go with the 4850 on that PSU as the 9800 card you are looking at is the black edition which will use more power than the standard card which i compared the power usage on as i couldnt find one for the Black edition.

Mactronix


wat if i use an extra 4 2 6 pin converter for the 9800GTX+ ?
i m using 2 HDD+2 optical device.. if i use one optical device and one HDD will that make any hlp?
:sarcastic: 
thanX for ur hlp bro
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 21, 2009 1:02:32 PM

Do you know if the card has a 65 or 55nm chip ? Can you link me to the cards you are looking at.

Mactronix
January 22, 2009 2:59:58 AM

mactronix said:
Do you know if the card has a 65 or 55nm chip ? Can you link me to the cards you are looking at.

Mactronix



hey herez da link of ma card :bounce: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this site says dat it need 450W PSU.. :sol:  .. but da prob is.... it talks the talk but does it walk the walk?

I love Nvidia then ATI..
ThanX again
January 22, 2009 6:13:02 AM

not to sound mean but is that english your typing. because it dont look like english writting.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 22, 2009 6:30:38 AM

This is the summary of a review i found that pretty much sums up my feelings on it.
The question here then, is whether all else is actually equal - While the GeForce 9800 GTX+ is a competent piece of hardware that really doesn't disappoint in what it offers any potential buyer, it's hard not to cast envious glances across the aisle at AMD's Radeon HD 4850 part, which can generally match or best the GeForce 9800 GTX+ at 1920x1200 with 4x anti-aliasing enabled, while also proving to be somewhat cheaper than XFX's offering here in the process. Personally, given this choice I'd lean towards the Radeon HD 4850, but if you find the GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition's features and bundle more tempting then I can't say you'd be disappointed with the performance it offers either.

Review,
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_c...

Now according to this review. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/palit-gf...
The power consumption is actually less than the 4850 due to the card being as i suspected a 92b 55nm chip.

On that evidence it would run ok on your power supply but im afraid i wouldnt go as far as telling you it will be fine. Thats down to the need for 2x6Pin PCIE connectors which your PSU dosent have.
So really its up to you to decide if you want to take a chance with the addaptor or not.

Mactronix :) 
January 22, 2009 6:43:10 AM

killz86 said:
not to sound mean but is that english your typing. because it dont look like english writting.



i feel sorry for u pal :pt1cable: 


January 22, 2009 8:02:48 AM

mactronix said:
This is the summary of a review i found that pretty much sums up my feelings on it.
The question here then, is whether all else is actually equal - While the GeForce 9800 GTX+ is a competent piece of hardware that really doesn't disappoint in what it offers any potential buyer, it's hard not to cast envious glances across the aisle at AMD's Radeon HD 4850 part, which can generally match or best the GeForce 9800 GTX+ at 1920x1200 with 4x anti-aliasing enabled, while also proving to be somewhat cheaper than XFX's offering here in the process. Personally, given this choice I'd lean towards the Radeon HD 4850, but if you find the GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition's features and bundle more tempting then I can't say you'd be disappointed with the performance it offers either.

Review,
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_c...

Now according to this review. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/palit-gf...
The power consumption is actually less than the 4850 due to the card being as i suspected a 92b 55nm chip.

On that evidence it would run ok on your power supply but im afraid i wouldnt go as far as telling you it will be fine. Thats down to the need for 2x6Pin PCIE connectors which your PSU dosent have.
So really its up to you to decide if you want to take a chance with the addaptor or not.

Mactronix :) 



ThanX a lot bro.. dis is my first post in dis forum and i got what i needed...
i didn't expect that much response.. hahaha
thanX again
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 22, 2009 8:47:11 AM

Sorry didnt notice it was your first post.
Welcome to the forums :) 
Any more issues/questions dont hesitate, enjoy your new card

Mactronix
January 22, 2009 10:18:03 AM

9800 GTX+ -- and the only competitor is the 4870, not the 4850. And then it depends on the games you're gonna run. Crysis, Fallout 3, Oblivion? Then 9800GTX+ for sure. Bioshock likes AMD, other than that the rest are pretty even. My fav is the 9800GTX+
January 22, 2009 1:47:25 PM

f111 said:
9800 GTX+ -- and the only competitor is the 4870, not the 4850. And then it depends on the games you're gonna run. Crysis, Fallout 3, Oblivion? Then 9800GTX+ for sure. Bioshock likes AMD, other than that the rest are pretty even. My fav is the 9800GTX+


the 4870 competes with the 260 numbnuts, the 4850 and the 9800 GTX+ are both good cards, with the 4850 winning some games and the 9800 GTX+ winning in others, with it being to close to call a clear winner
and there is a driver coming out this month for the 4850 that will put some distance between it and the 9800 GTX+
January 22, 2009 5:58:58 PM

This thread makes my eyes feel like bleeding.


And f111, HD 4850 is better than the 9800GTX+. Or at least, they're *very* close. The HD 4870 blows the 9800GTX+ away.
!