WMP 2002 update - player won't start

April 16, 2004 8:26:23 PM

I did the Windows Media Player 2002 update on my iPAQ 3955 and now the
player won't start. The screen refreshes about a second after
clicking on any of the player icons [shortcuts or player.exe] but
never appears and no error message appears either.

I had a recent backup so I reverted to the backup. The player will
play after the restore completes until I do a soft reset and then it
is broken again. I've tried deleting all vestiges of the player from
RAM manually [with File Explorer] and player registry entries with PHM
RegEdit then did another install of the WMP 2002 update. Still no
success.

Anyone have any ideas [besides a hard reset and manual restore of all
applications]

I need the player for landscape rotated playing of WMV files. I have
digiSoft PictPocket Cinema 2.7 which will play WMV files but will not
rotate them. Anyone know of another player that will rotate and play
WMV files?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 11:30:41 AM

I'm not sure if this is anything like the problem I had when I "lost" Media
Player on my 1910.

Having searched Google I found a solution that worked for me - it is a bit
involved but is not as bad as it
looks. I'm including the text below. As I said it worked for me, but I give
no warranty about it. You should do a full back-up before you try it.

It involves WMP 7.1 (available from the MS download site) which PPC 2002
says you can't use -don't worry, be of good faith and
do the following: - when you install WMP7.1 on the desktop, you'll get the
error message saying version not compatible

- don't close the error dialog

- look for a file "wolf.arm.cab" in the temp folder of your desktop (you may
need to change folder options to show hidden files/folders)

- copy that file to your PPC's Start Menu

- you may then close the error message on the desktop

- on your PPC, go to Start Menu, tap on the cab file to install the program"

HTH

<<<Watch out for the spamtrap >>>

"Sid Eaton" <sid.eaton@cusys.edu> wrote in message
> I did the Windows Media Player 2002 update on my iPAQ 3955 and now the
> player won't start. The screen refreshes about a second after
> clicking on any of the player icons [shortcuts or player.exe] but
> never appears and no error message appears either.
>
> I had a recent backup so I reverted to the backup. The player will
> play after the restore completes until I do a soft reset and then it
> is broken again. I've tried deleting all vestiges of the player from
> RAM manually [with File Explorer] and player registry entries with PHM
> RegEdit then did another install of the WMP 2002 update. Still no
> success.
>
> Anyone have any ideas [besides a hard reset and manual restore of all
> applications]
>
> I need the player for landscape rotated playing of WMV files. I have
> digiSoft PictPocket Cinema 2.7 which will play WMV files but will not
> rotate them. Anyone know of another player that will rotate and play
> WMV files?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 1:37:46 PM

Look for the skin association entries in the registry... Looks like you
missed it.

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
"Sid Eaton" <sid.eaton@cusys.edu> wrote in message
> I did the Windows Media Player 2002 update on my iPAQ 3955 and now the
> player won't start. The screen refreshes about a second after
> clicking on any of the player icons [shortcuts or player.exe] but
> never appears and no error message appears either.
>
> I had a recent backup so I reverted to the backup. The player will
> play after the restore completes until I do a soft reset and then it
> is broken again. I've tried deleting all vestiges of the player from
> RAM manually [with File Explorer] and player registry entries with PHM
> RegEdit then did another install of the WMP 2002 update. Still no
> success.
>
> Anyone have any ideas [besides a hard reset and manual restore of all
> applications]
>
> I need the player for landscape rotated playing of WMV files. I have
> digiSoft PictPocket Cinema 2.7 which will play WMV files but will not
> rotate them. Anyone know of another player that will rotate and play
> WMV files?
April 21, 2004 5:46:47 PM

Come on Carlo ... have a heart!! PHM Registry Editor doesn't have a
search function and I'm not sure where to find "skin association
entries."

Can you give me some clue what path they might be on?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS

I be pleased with as many elements of the path as you can provide ;-)

"Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP]" <ppcsurfr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eBLEXgnJEHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Look for the skin association entries in the registry... Looks like you
> missed it.
>
> --
> Carlo Ma. Guerrero
> Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
> "Sid Eaton" <sid.eaton@cusys.edu> wrote in message
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:54:24 PM

Sorry Carlo ... I spoke without checking. I think I was remembering
the Tascal Regedit program. The PHM RegEdit software does have a
find. I have removed all vestiges of any keys related to WMP and then
did a soft reset.

Then I installed WMP 7.1 as HTH suggested on 4/19, then another soft
reboot.

I have the same experience with WMP 7.1 as I had with the Windows
Media Player 2002 update. I see Windows Media appear briefly in the
title bar with no "takeover" of the windows elements below the title
bar, then the title bar reverts to previous, usually Start [depending
on where I was]. WMP never appears nor do any error messages appear.

I note that many files are installed during processing of the cab. A
number of files require answering "Yes" for replacement of existing
files [or "Yes to All"]. All files that get replaced are *.2bp type
files except for gx.dll. Many file names fly past during the install
since they are not replacing an existing file. I don't know if CAB
installations produce a log somewhere on a PocketPC 2002.

The only obviously connected file I could not remove before
reinstallation of WMP was the player.exe file in \Windows. I assume
this file appears in that directory but actually resides in ROM and
therefore cannot be removed. I think it is OK that this file is not
removed since the shortcuts installed by the cab file point to the
\Program Files\Windows Media Player 7.1\player.exe file.

Still not having success, I wonder if there is some other file,
perhaps a DLL, that is required and missing or corrupted. I really
would like to get WMP functioning again so I could rotate and play
landscaped WMPs.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 2:17:02 AM

Did you run the WMP 7.1 installer first? or did you delete the folder in
your PC which contains the wolf.arm.cab file?

Since this is exactly the same file as the 2002 update... I suggest that you
clean up the folder first... maybe erase the whole folder and then run the
setup again... then if you need to... copy the cab file into the PPC.

I think you're still getting the 2002 update cab...

--

!