Closed

MX RECORD MISSING (URGENT,PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE)

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 28, 2009 3:15:13 PM

Hi,
We suddenly have problems with our email system. We can recieve all mails but only send to some domains. My thought was that it had to do with the reverse check...but i dont know much about this :-) When i try to use online tools to check my MX RECORDS they say NO MX RECORDS FOUND. Our dns provider tells me it must be a problem with our setup... but first question i have should the MX lookup tools always come back with a result (if created at the dns provider) nomatter if my network is down or misconfigured ?

All help would be greatly apriciated
May 28, 2009 3:59:11 PM

I would first use nslookup and point to a different dns server, see instructions bellow

Open Command prompt

type 'nslookup'
type 'set type=mx'
server 4.2.2.4
type 'domain.com'

See if a MX record comes back. If it doesn't this is on your providers end.

But you are saying you can't send mail. You don't need a MX record to send messages, only receive messages. Which does sound like something setup incorrectly with your mail server.

When you say you can send to only some domains. Are you saying only send from certain domains? Or just simple from xyz.com to say yahoo.com?

Are you blacklisted? Check your external server ip with http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
May 28, 2009 4:20:16 PM

Thank you for your prompt response :-) i am in over my head here jaja

I tried the nslookup as you wrote it and it gives me a timeout like this:
> set type=mx
> server 4.2.2.4
Default Server: vnsc-pri-dsl.genuity.net
Address: 4.2.2.4

> grupostaff.com
Server: vnsc-pri-dsl.genuity.net
Address: 4.2.2.4

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to vnsc-pri-dsl.genuity.net timed-out

Sorry i must have typed wrong. I can send mail and recieve mails, but most places i send to, i get an error mail back saying the mail was rejected. But however there are places that i can send to without any problems. I only have one domain and one exchange server..so our setup is fairly simple.

When i try mx lookups online i get the same response as the lookup function you just taugh me (gracias)... examble.: http://my-addr.com/mx and out domain name is grupostaff.com
In this test i would expect to see a result nomatter what our internal systems have off flaws :-) i am correct in this assumption ?
But my DNS provider tells me that they have no problems and it must be on our system!

Thanks again for your help,

Ian
Related resources
May 28, 2009 4:30:37 PM

Then there isn't an mx record for gropustuff.com. That is the domain right? not groupstuff.com? I checked both and don't see one registered.

What is the message your getting back say? Is it staying in the exchange queue? or an NDR to end user?
May 28, 2009 4:48:48 PM

zentinel said:
Then there isn't an mx record for gropustuff.com. That is the domain right? not groupstuff.com? I checked both and don't see one registered.

:-) The domain name is GRUPOSTAFF.COM
i am in Mexico jaja

What is the message your getting back say? Is it staying in the exchange queue? or an NDR to end user?

a NDR is returned

Again thank you !!!!!

Ian
May 28, 2009 5:04:22 PM

You're welcome.

I'm not sure how exactly your exchange is setup. If it is acting as a full blown exchange server, or exchange with Pop connectors. Should find this out before calling your ISP and changing your mx-records. Not sure how you are receiving external mail without issues, when an mx-record isn't present.
May 28, 2009 5:16:44 PM

Looks like your mx record is there now.

ns1.chinoc.net reports the following MX records for 'groupstuff.com':

Preference Host Name IP Address TTL
5 c2.chinoc.net 66.230.222.90 300

Hopefully that fixes your issues.
May 28, 2009 5:20:53 PM

Zentinel, what does this mean ?

the ip adress is not mine.

another thing i just tried a reverse dns lookup.. entering our ip adress. Do you know what i am surpose to recieve, because i am getting offcause the ip but then our internet provider name.com.mex.. is this normal ?

Thank You
May 28, 2009 5:27:11 PM

Going off the assumption that this is a full blown exchange server then your external IP address should match to what the MX record has.

May 28, 2009 5:55:05 PM

Correct assumption :-) and i have with my dns provider an mx record mail.grupostaff.com and a a record with the mail and this points to our ip.

The thing is we have a very small setup and have made no changes in a while and suddenly this stoped worked yesterday!

May 28, 2009 5:59:56 PM

I'm sorry I had domain name typed in there wrong. This is the result

grupostaff.com
primary name server = NS63.WORLDNIC.com
responsible mail addr = namehost.WORLDNIC.com
serial = 109052802
refresh = 10800 (3 hours)
retry = 3600 (1 hour)
expire = 604800 (7 days)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

MX Lookup Test

E-mail tested: mail.grupostaff.com
Test performed from: Seattle, WA
Test performed at: 2009-05-28 14:03:48 (GMT -04:00)
Known MX records: mail.grupostaff.com (200.53.110.5)

May 28, 2009 6:04:49 PM

yep thats us.
May 28, 2009 6:11:08 PM

I just looked at the blacklist again. You are blacklisted on IP 200.53.110.5

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
CBL LISTED Blocked - see Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 1164 16
RATS-Dyna LISTED SPAMRATS IP Addresses See: Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.36 1163 31
UCEPROTECTL1 LISTED IP 200.53.110.5 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.2

Also check http://www.blacklistalert.org./ Enter your ip (200.53.110.5 right?)

This could be why you aren't able to send to some domains.
May 28, 2009 6:20:12 PM

yes i saw that, but they tell me this:

Does IP Address comply with reverse hostname naming convention.FAILED!!

Do you know what this means ?
May 28, 2009 6:28:52 PM

need to get your dns record corrected.

Doing an nslookup on 200.53.110.5 results in this.

Name: ip-200-53-110-5-mty.marcatel.net.mx
Address: 200.53.110.5

Name should = mail.grupostaff.com

Doing an nslookup on mail.grupostaff.com results in this.
Name: mail.grupostaff.com
Address: 200.53.110.5

Get your host to fix the DNS record to get both ip lookup and dns lookup to equal the same.

Contact the company that has you blacklisted and see if that is why. If it is, then you should be fine. Unless there is some other underline reason your messages are being rejected. If that is the case we need to look at the NDR closer.
May 18, 2011 8:45:35 AM

ik8848 said:
Hi,
We suddenly have problems with our email system. We can recieve all mails but only send to some domains. My thought was that it had to do with the reverse check...but i dont know much about this :-) When i try to use online tools to check my MX RECORDS they say NO MX RECORDS FOUND. Our dns provider tells me it must be a problem with our setup... but first question i have should the MX lookup tools always come back with a result (if created at the dns provider) nomatter if my network is down or misconfigured ?

All help would be greatly apriciated

Check if your MX records are available. You can go to WhoisXY.com to try this. It has a DNS Query link which allows to find all the Resource Records configured for every domain name. Just type your domain name in the search box and it will display the records. Through this you can find if your MX record are working and visible.
April 4, 2013 1:13:50 AM

ik8848 said:
Hi,
We suddenly have problems with our email system. We can recieve all mails but only send to some domains. My thought was that it had to do with the reverse check...but i dont know much about this :-) When i try to use online tools to check my MX RECORDS they say NO MX RECORDS FOUND. Our dns provider tells me it must be a problem with our setup... but first question i have should the MX lookup tools always come back with a result (if created at the dns provider) nomatter if my network is down or misconfigured ?

All help would be greatly apriciated

you can check your MX records from more websites
ex: http://www.wlooker.com/www/google.com
enjoy
!