Installed DVD Rom; computer has slow boot.

krisbok

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I recently installed a Sony Optiarc dvd rom, recognized it in bios, everything was fine, but on the fresh boot everything was really slow. I have a ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo, which uses ASUS express gate, it allows you to utilize online within DOS mode; I first noticed the slow boot stating it was 'loading Asus express gate' and 30 sec. went by, and it was still on the screen. POST is even worse, about 2 mins. to boot into the 'Starting Windows' screen. The drive is SATA, my primary hd is SATA as well; don't know if this would be an issue. I couldn't help but wonder if a .DLL file was corrupted or not. I don't really know where to start on a slow boot problem, if anyone can help that would be great.

-Kris.

A quick way to isolate the Sony Optiarc dvd rom from the problem is to disconnect it and see whether the boot time has changed.

The delay is occurring before "Starting Windows" message; therefore it is not caused by Windows. Could be a conflict between Sony Optiarc dvd rom and ASUS Exp Gate; both trying to initialize concurrently.

I don't know enuf about ASUS (last 4 letters of PEGASUS) Express Gate, but if you suspect this, then a call to ASUS tech center would be in order.

Gaxoo

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
This is quite an old topic, but I recently had a similar problem with an Asus system where the customer had installed a DVD-rom drive and the computer started booting very slowly.

After much head-scratching, I looked inside the machine and found that there was a jumper in the hard drive that set it to "Master with Slave Present". Since this was a single HDD system, I removed the jumper and this fixed the problem instantly. Startup time was dramatically decreased, taking less than half the time it was taking before.

Hope this will help people with the same problem.