Decision between two boards

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I have a computer that I'm putting together, but the problem is that I don't know which motherboard I should get. It's going to run an Intel i7 920 with 6GB DDR3 RAM and will be running SLI later. The computer will be run for gaming mainly.

My choices are:
GIGABYTE EX58-UD4P
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Can someone please tell me which they think I should choose any why?

4745454b

Titan
If you provide some links I'll be happy to check them out. I have no idea about the specs of those boards. I do know not every x58 board supports SLI, so make sure they both do. After that, its a matter of picking whichever one has the features you want, at the price your willing to pay. Features might include warranty and bundle as well as things found on the motherboard.

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

These are the boards:
LINK

The problem is that I don't know what features I want apart from SLI capability. I don't know which ones are useful and which ones I'll probably never use.

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

Absolutely. Yes. The choice is only between those two motherboards, though.

4745454b

Titan
Hmmm, tough call. One the one hand the Gigabyte board is cheaper, supports faster memory, and has more SATA and firewire ports. One the other hand the Asus boards supports more GPUs, has dual NICs, and more USB headers. If I had to pick one, I'd probably get the Asus board. Having 3 16x PCIe slots is better for a gamer then just two, as it allows for more configurations. It also has dual NICs, which is useful for hooking your laptop up to your desktop as I've discovered. (can't plug it into the LAN, out of ports...) If your a media/harddrive junkie and need those extra SATA ports then get the Gigabyte board. Also get that board if the Asus board is to much, or if the Gigabyte bundle is better. (I didn't look at bundles or warranties.)

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

With the different combos of parts for this computer, the difference in the price of this computer between buying the Asus motherboard and the Gigabyte motherboard is $10. This system will primarily be used for gaming, so you would think I should go with the Asus board?

I mean, as far as hard drive and media stuff goes, the only external devices I hook up are one external hard drive and an iPod, but I don't think that would really justify going with the Gigabyte for what you're saying.

4745454b

Titan
The advantage that Asus board has is the three 16x slots. You could do SLI on two and PhysX on the other. You could do tri SLI, etc. You can't do that on the Gigabyte board because it has only two slots. As a gamer, this matters most. You still have 6 SATA ports and plenty of other goodies, so its not like your out a lot.

Hi...
Well if you are planning to build a gaming rig, then I suggest you get the ASUS P6T...It is a slight trimmed down version of the P6T Deluxe but is a very good board...And with the money saved, spend it on graphics card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000200280%201070545356%204018&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=N82E16813131359%2CN82E16813128374%2CN82E16813131365

And actually if you see the pcie slot layout on the P6T is better than the slot layout on P6T Deluxe...(Check the 2nd and 3rd slots...)

Well I think you misread the specs...
Even the Gigabyte board has 3 PCIE slots...They are just explaining the modes at which the slots work when they are filled... :)

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
hi, I got an asus p6t deluxe v2. I'm very happy with that product and it's easy to oc. I don't know gigabyte. The only thing I'm sure is the asus is easy to oc .
i oc m7 i7 920 to 3.89 without any problem.
thanks.

4745454b

Titan
I can't see the big picture, but the little one does seem to show 3 16x slots. I'm guessing that two of them run at 16x, and the other runs slower. Its so poorly worded however that I'm not sure what it has.

Seeing as it does have 3 slots, I'd get it. More SATA ports, 3 16x slots, better firewire options, and its cheaper. (even if its only $10.) I'm not saying the Asus is a bad board, its just that a slightly cheaper one is just as good.