My System Configuration is

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR
Gigabyte ATI-HD4550
4 * Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G
Western Digital WD7501AALS 750GB / configured in AHCI mode
LG DVD-Recorder
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2-550
Windows Vista x64 / Ubuntu 9.04 x64

I am experiencing unexplainable random freezes and reboots.

I used Ubuntu's and Vista's setup CD/DVD memory checks, no crush/freeze occured.

1) Loaded the fail-safe defaults
2) I replaced the power the supply, graphics card
3) used 2 memory modules
4) tried with another hard disk

The system continues randomly to freeze and reboot.

I am suspecting the motherboard/Memory combo is the cause of my problems,
I verified also that the KVR1333D3N9/2G are in motherboard's supported memory modules list.

Has anyone experienced similar problem ?
Can you suggest my a set of memory configuration parameters to experiment with ?

Many thanks
nkef

a c 80 } Memory
a c 229 V Motherboard
May 10, 2009 5:50:49 PM

Quote:
I replaced the power the supply, graphics card
With exactly the same models? Also test the memory modules with memtest (let it run overnight). If memory is good, then the PSU would probably be my prime suspect.
May 10, 2009 6:02:16 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
I replaced the power the supply, graphics card
With exactly the same models? Also test the memory modules with memtest (let it run overnight). If memory is good, then the PSU would probably be my prime suspect.

I only left the memory test it to do 3 full passes, I will leave the memory test to run overnight.
I have also tried with another PSU but I got exactly the same behaviour, freezes and reboots are happening very often.

Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
a c 229 V Motherboard
May 10, 2009 6:59:30 PM

You could also have a defective motherboard. Running Prime95 for a few hours is a very good test for your motherboard.
June 8, 2009 12:38:57 AM

Hello All,

I join this post to share my same fustration on my new PC with the same MB and Intel Q9400. The system was built by MSY for me and I try to install XP, Vista, change BIOS setting to different parameters (Eg. No Errors, Default save BIOS, Optimised BIOS, etc) ... the problem is randomly freezes at any stages. I have to reset so many many times to try different BIOS and reinstall SW but the problem of randomly freezes remains.

My system are:
MB: GA-EP45T-UD3LR
RAM: G.Skill NQ Series 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3
VGA: Inno3D PCI-E 1GB GTS 250
PSU: Antec Sonata III with PSU 500W.

I am lucky if I can install Vista upto 1% then freeze, sometime, 47%, 98%, even at 0% freezed at windows startup prgress bar. ... I then, decided to test with boot disk for memory test overnight. It mem test o/n also found to freeze at after 2nd good run test cycle.

I sort of run out of clue excpet to change graphic card or MB. Anyone have any good idea to try apart from giving it back to MSY to investigate after Queen's Birthday tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your comments on my issue.

AAATech
June 8, 2009 1:30:56 AM

After posting my issue, I search google from Whirpool found the interesting solution that match with my problem. I share it here but I yet to proof it work by upgrading the RAM model from NQ to PI. Cheers,

I've bought the same parts from MSY a while back

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR
Intel E8400 3Ghz
GSkill DDR3 2x2GB RAM (assuming its the NQ)

I had similar problems. I went back to exchange the board and upgraded to ram to the PI version of GSkill Ram (paid $20 more) and everything worked fine – default board settings.

Though it could have been a faulty mobo, but the staff told me that the Gskill NQ ram had a lot of issues, and suggested I upgraded to the PI.

anchor
posted 2009-May-27, 12pm AEST
User #106518 42 posts
Geezmoz
Forum Regular
K33X writes...
I had similar problems. I went back to exchange the board and upgraded to ram to the PI version of GSkill Ram (paid $20 more) and everything worked fine – default board settings.

Hi K33X, after reading your post, called up MSY and advised that my GSkill Ram tested for errors, instantly the guy over the phone told me to bring it back for exchange. I asked him if it could be the mobo, he never even asked me what mobo, and stated should be the GSKILL RAM!! Cool.... Shall do it this weekend and upgrade to PI.

What a saga this has caused me..... so much grieve over this....

--------------------------
August 3, 2009 8:12:27 AM

aaatechservices said:
Hello All,

I join this post to share my same fustration on my new PC with the same MB and Intel Q9400. The system was built by MSY for me and I try to install XP, Vista, change BIOS setting to different parameters (Eg. No Errors, Default save BIOS, Optimised BIOS, etc) ... the problem is randomly freezes at any stages. I have to reset so many many times to try different BIOS and reinstall SW but the problem of randomly freezes remains.

My system are:
RAM: G.Skill NQ Series 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3
VGA: Inno3D PCI-E 1GB GTS 250
PSU: Antec Sonata III with PSU 500W.

I am lucky if I can install Vista upto 1% then freeze, sometime, 47%, 98%, even at 0% freezed at windows startup prgress bar. ... I then, decided to test with boot disk for memory test overnight. It mem test o/n also found to freeze at after 2nd good run test cycle.

I sort of run out of clue excpet to change graphic card or MB. Anyone have any good idea to try apart from giving it back to MSY to investigate after Queen's Birthday tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your comments on my issue.

AAATech

Interesting, I have a system from MSY

My system is:
RAM: G.Skill NQ Series 8GB Kit (4x2GB) DDR3
VGA: Inno3D PCI-E 1GB GTS 285
PSU: Antec 300III with PSU 800W.

and I get the same freezing issue !! Went back to MSY, got new RAM and still have the same issue !!
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 3, 2009 3:07:52 PM

Have you ever done the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS? This will often cure these problems. (There may be a problem with this function on P43/P45 based boards however; this is currently under investigation) If not, try going into the BIOS:

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard", and, at the bottom, on the third page
"MCH Core" to "1.200V"
<F10> to save and exit; may reboot twice at this point - is completely normal behavior...
November 5, 2009 5:09:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Similar hardware, same issue (very unstable, sometimes will not even boot)

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR F6b
RAM: 4G DDR3 1066 GSkill PI (F3-10600CL7D)

As stated applying 'default' settings made no changes to the BIOS settings all changes had to be entered manually.

SOLUTION: Changing MB settings manually as detailed in the above post worked for me combined with manually setting my DRAM voltage to 1.6v.

Much thanks to bilbat, must definately be an issue with Gigabyte MB's.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2009 9:27:19 AM

apply ur dram to 2.04 to be 800mhz

and it will work
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 22, 2009 12:55:47 PM

Am I looking at the wrong stuff? Is this it:
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=173 ?
Shows there as 1333... If you have four sticks, pretty much every chipset takes a 'bump' of the MCH to get it to work - not so much a GB problem, as a requirement of the chipsets - that's why they're adjustable!
December 27, 2009 12:11:20 PM

Hi All,

I'm having a similar problem with server 2k8 and 8Gb corsair RAM 1333

I have checked a lot of things and I do faults for a living so I'm down to scraping the barrel on this one :( 

All the RAM sticks are OK ... have proved it ... 2k8 data centre will take 8Gb NP ... whenever I put a stick in the 4th slot (DRAM 4) I get the errors and sometimes BSOD etc.
The M/board is new as is the whole system .. I put it together myself and have 28 years of experience of putting PC's together so it was done properly etc.

PSU is 1100 watts

I am using the same beta version F6b bios as the rest of you ... I have done as suggested by bilbat and taylor82 below but to no avail ... have added a little to every setting under MCH and still getting the errors ...

Server 2k8 has a mem test built in (quite convenient) and fails as soon as it bank reads the 4 stick though 'system' shows 8Gb (which it does by a bank read) ... bit reads seem to be OK but ... Any driver or app. that wants to use upper memory fails and often BSOD ... But I leave slot 4 blank and no errors; doesn't matter if MCH is set to turbo and auto everything else ...

I have a crazy suspicion that the video card (Radeon x1950) in the PCIe has a conflict but I can't prove it.
And it also seems to be temperature related but I can't prove that either .. m/board diagnostics are within spec but the longer I have it running the worse it gets ...

Load Optimized Defaults on the "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)" page doesn't help.

Has anyone spoken to Gigabyte about this ?

Cheers !

BenM
January 16, 2010 2:44:08 PM

OMG finally ......!!

I have the same problem .. I didn't know what to do !

now I'm about to get new mobo (msi p45 platinum)

I think the problem on the same mobo that we used (ep45t-ud3lr)

ooooh thank god there're some people having the same problem & suffering like me

now ... gigabyte should return our money or fix this issue with new mobos

thank you guys .. now I'm pretty sure where is the problem at

:[)
March 22, 2010 3:05:55 PM

i have also this problem
it cause like with new version from yahoo or so

that's when it crash ,i have bleu screen

i do believe this ram KVR1333D3N9/2G doesn't support my mobo Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4

i have 4 of 2 gb of this memory

and i left all standard now the dram frequency is 750 mhz

they suppose to be 1333 !
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 3:24:19 PM

First question: have you done a "Load Optimized" from the BIOS? If that hasn't worked, you might try the LoadOpt with only one stick of RAM, then <F10> to save and exit; reboot; power down; add another (one) stick, see if it works; then power down and add the other two - sometimes takes manual adjustments for more than two DIMMs...
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 4:44:26 PM

Your specs are here:
http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR1333D3N9_2G.pdf
What I do not see is tRAS; it is definitely CAS 9 @ 1333; I would try it first at 9-9-9-27 - likely need to 'bump' the voltage a bit for four DIMMs...

Reason you need to do "LoadOpt" is to set the sub-timings - for your board, they are:

tRC
tRRD
tWTR
tWR
tWTP
tWL
tRFC
tRTP

problem is - absolutely no one publishes their specs for these!
June 15, 2012 7:18:49 PM

Alright, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I was having the same problem and this was the first relevant link that google gave me.

Basically, update your BIOS as the issue appears to have been solved with that. I'm running the most recent one, which is F12E. It's listed as a beta, but it does appear to be stable.
July 27, 2012 7:39:15 PM

MrMoo52 said:
Alright, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I was having the same problem and this was the first relevant link that google gave me.

Basically, update your BIOS as the issue appears to have been solved with that. I'm running the most recent one, which is F12E. It's listed as a beta, but it does appear to be stable.

is the new bios update still working?
!