Upgrading 4870 to gtx 285 worth it?

Hi all, i currently own a 4870 512mb ati graphics card and i am considering upgrading to an nvidia gtx 285.
Reason for this i play a lot of crysis mods and although the 4870 renders it reasonably well, i want to play the mods at 1680x1050 2xAA 16 or 8x AF and everything on Very High DX 10.
The 4870 is just a little bit to short of power to render at this gameplay resolution, and maybe the gtx 285 will give just the extra "oomph"to play this game reasonably comfortable at this setting.
Any suggestions?
I dont wanna upgrade to an GTX 295 for price and the known micro stuttering issues with dual GPU cards, or are these things things just a rumour?
Any help welcome.
regards,

Peter

My rig : e6600 at 3.33 ghz
4gb ddr2 800mhz
2x raptor 74gb raid 0
P965 platinum MSI mobo
win vista 64bit home premium
X-Fi fatality gamer
17 answers Last reply
More about upgrading 4870 worth
  1. Definitely not worth it, I mean its going to boost you 15-20% when generous but you have a crossfire card if I'm not mistaken. It would be much cheaper and a faster solution by just getting another 4870.

    2 4870s will beat 1 285 GTX. and it would COST you personally a smaller amount to purchase 1 4870 512 which can be found for like 180$ now:)
  2. You right about micro shutterings but the 4870x2 changed that. I don't know the good and bads about the 295gtx but it sure stole the 4870x2 top spot by a few frames. The price war are stil unsettled thanks to nvidia's updates. Wait a little to grab the 4870x2 as the drivers are mature enough to call good just don't plan to xfire . Btw what mobo do you have ?
  3. my mobo can do crossfire, but the second card will only play with pci express 4x and the signals go through the southbridge or something with devastating crossfire results so crossfire on this p965 mobo is not an option.
  4. The GTX280 might be a better bet. With prices tumbling after the release of the GTX285 and without looking hard I`ve found one for under $300 at Newegg if you use the rebates.
    Still, it`s a big expense for a fairly modest upgrade, but then again, there`s always Ebay for the 4870.
  5. cyber_jockey said:
    You right about micro shutterings but the 4870x2 changed that. I don't know the good and bads about the 295gtx but it sure stole the 4870x2 top spot by a few frames. The price war are stil unsettled thanks to nvidia's updates. Wait a little to grab the 4870x2 as the drivers are mature enough to call good just don't plan to xfire . Btw what mobo do you have ?



    Actually no it didn't it was supposed to but it didn't. The 4870 X2 was supposed to work as 1 GPU but clearly it was over exaggerated.

    And in all honesty ATI paid more attention to the single 4870 card then they did to the dual GPU card.

    What pisses me off is the OLD 9800 GX2 matured faster in both Quad and reg than the 4870 X2 did....and it kinda makes me want to sell the 4870 x2 while I can and grab a 4850 X2 or a 4870 1 gig since they both perform better for their price.

    Thats only cuz I want my secondary to be an ATI only System. and if you see most benchmarks for now, the 295 GTX is on top by alot more than a few frames. Only thing we can hope is that the next drivers deliver what they were supposed to from the beginning months. ALso I have to add that the power consumption for the 4870 X2 is very high compared to what I thought it would be.
  6. oh see I didn't see the 4 x pCI exp.

    Then well to be honest I'd say wait for hte 9.x Drivers from ATI, see how those improve performance, you might end up going to the 4850 X2 or 280/85 GTX or some other card...or you might end up staying cuz a 10% bump could do wonders:)

    So be patient:D

    If you really want to go for a card, and you don't see urself ever going 2 cards in one board then the BEST card you can get up to now is 295 GTX seeing as its a fair bit above the 4870 X2.

    But personally I'd stop at the 280 GTX for single card or 285 GTX if you can find it cheaper.
  7. I have the GTX295 and I have played lots of games and I haven’t see micro stuttering. Generally micro stuttering occurs in low fps below 30 GTX295 is a powerful card and never get near to 30fps anyway.
  8. no thats not microstuttering.

    Microstuttering to all is when there's a noticeable dip in frames where it affects game play. And even though i agree with you that the 295 GTX is a powerful card. I'm sorry but it won't match the 280s in SLI...which would be a cheaper option for him.

    Not only that, you can't stand there and say there aren't min frame rate problems...because there have been numerous sites complaining about the driver giving it min frame rates even lower than the 4870 X2 the 280 GTX single card.

    I'm sure if you google it you'll see what I'm saying.

    Like I said...its not a bad card. Its just not a good route if your going to sli 2 of them. By the time quad fire/sli drivers are finally working the way their are supposed to usualy its too late..

    When I had the 9800 GX2 in quad, I had min framerate @ 15-25 randomly even @ 1280x1024 at the time..and these were mature drivers (Mid August 2008)

    With mature drivers the min frame rate problem should be less of a problem...but it will always be a problem from personal experience.

    Either way, the 295 GTX might be an option for some, but for him it would be a waste.
  9. bkhschoo said:
    Hi all, i currently own a 4870 512mb ati graphics card and i am considering upgrading to an nvidia gtx 285.
    Reason for this i play a lot of crysis mods and although the 4870 renders it reasonably well, i want to play the mods at 1680x1050 2xAA 16 or 8x AF and everything on Very High DX 10.
    The 4870 is just a little bit to short of power to render at this gameplay resolution, and maybe the gtx 285 will give just the extra "oomph"to play this game reasonably comfortable at this setting.
    Any suggestions?
    I dont wanna upgrade to an GTX 295 for price and the known micro stuttering issues with dual GPU cards, or are these things things just a rumour?
    Any help welcome.
    regards,

    Peter

    My rig : e6600 at 3.33 ghz
    4gb ddr2 800mhz
    2x raptor 74gb raid 0
    P965 platinum MSI mobo
    win vista 64bit home premium
    X-Fi fatality gamer


    The gtx285 will be about 30-35% faster in Crysis (but not soo much in warhead) than a 4870. In the first crysis nvidia cards are substantially faster than the equivalent ati rivals. Warhead evened things right out though. Shame you want to junk the 4870, theyre great overclockers with manual fan control on. 800/1000 is stable with 40% fan, a suicide run of 825/1050 was stable with 70% fan speed (that was loud lol). Really brings up the min fps.
  10. L1qu1d said:
    Definitely not worth it, I mean its going to boost you 15-20% when generous but you have a crossfire card if I'm not mistaken. It would be much cheaper and a faster solution by just getting another 4870.

    2 4870s will beat 1 285 GTX. and it would COST you personally a smaller amount to purchase 1 4870 512 which can be found for like 180$ now:)


    Totally agree with the above. However the biggest problem I can see with the current 4870 512mb is lack of RAM if you want to play high settings at that resolution. The 2nd card should then over come this.
  11. but is it really woth upgrading to GTX series since his mobo is P965 which is doesnt support pci Express 2.0?
    i thought that GTX need a bigger bandwith, just my opinion though.... :)
  12. The performance might b a bit different for the 280 GTX...but heres a general Idea:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-meets-pci-express,1761-5.html
  13. Quote:
    The performance might b a bit different for the 280 GTX...but heres a general Idea:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 761-5.html


    that maybe right for the case above, but for newer card such as GTX it could be such a diff result.
    As i read many topic in this forum said that using GTX/4800X2 on pciE 1.0 could result worse than 9800 gtx on a same slot.
  14. thats why I said it might not be the case for the 280 GTx:) but in I don't think it will half it.

    I mean the key difference is 250 mb/s vs 500 mb/s
  15. i thought the 4870 1gig got higher FPS in crysis compared to the 280
  16. nope:) its just rare they actually matched. Recent benchmarks show:P

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-285-review--3way-sli/17
  17. mokuj1m said:
    but is it really woth upgrading to GTX series since his mobo is P965 which is doesnt support pci Express 2.0?
    i thought that GTX need a bigger bandwith, just my opinion though.... :)


    If the mobo doesnt support PCI-e 2.0 the VGA card is backwards compatible with PCI-e.

    You just wont be able to utilize the card to its max potential is all.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics