C Band Upgrade to 4DTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 24, 2004 3:43:14 AM

I've been using a Chaparral Monterey 95 receiver for the last decade,
and have been extremely happy with it. However, with much of the
programming moving to digital, I want to put that capability in my
system. I want to stay with C Band, because I can get ala carte
programming. I don't want to pay excessive amounts for package
programming I won't use - such as Dish & Direct offer.

I know I will need to put in a high stability LNB.

Any comments about an adapter connected to the Monterey to decode the
digital stream? Which one gives the best results?

But I'm thinking it would be best to have it all in one unit rather
than multiple boxes and multiple remotes.

My programming is currently through NPS, and they are now offering a
Motorola DSR-922 digital receiver for half price with an annual
subscription to HBO/Cinemax. I'm suspicious that maybe this unit is
going obsolete and they are clearing out stock. Are there better
units out there?

Also, is there any value in adding KU Band while I am doing the
upgrade? I have a 10' solid dish which is very stable.

Thanks in advance,
GT

More about : band upgrade 4dtv

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:43:15 AM

The 4DTV model 922 is considered the standard forward model for digital
consumer receivers in C-Band.I have a model 920 ( a previous line model)
and I still use it.The 922 has a few more features PLUS DD 5.1
capability.I paid $799.00 in 2001 for my 920 ( a replacement for one
that failed).If they are offering one for half price,plus it is a 922 to
boot AND you are still desiring C-Band,I would get it.There are several
digital channels on the Ku-Band side of Galaxy 4 (X4).Only you can
determine whether they are important enough to add Ku capability.They
are Fox Movie Channel,Lifetime Movie Network,ESPN News Channel,Outdoor
Life Network,TOON Disney,Good Life TV Network,National Geographic
Channel,Game Show Network, and 38 DMX (Digital Music Express) audio
channels.You WILL need a Ku-Band LNB if you want those channels.Plus a
lot of news and sports wildfeeds on a lot of other sats.
In another vein,I would also recommend adding a MPEG-2 DVB free to air
receiver.You can either slave it to your 4DTV or operate it separately
on another dish.This is another digital format entirely and has a lot of
free stuff on it,although the programming it receives is not as "fixed"
as on the 4DTV (some of it is).These receivers run about $150-$300 US
retail.
Also,if you are in to HD there are 6 High Definition C-Band
channels,but you will need to get an add-on HDD-200 or 201 decoder to
receive these.I have heard the HD on these channels are superb,even
exceeding the quality of the DBS HD offerings.I have tried to get
one,but they are getting harder to get as GI/Motorola does not
manufacture them anymore.But ,whatever you decide.....good luck!
May 26, 2004 2:52:44 AM

Many thanks for the excellent information.

I ordered the 922 this morning - they say it will ship on June 7.

Looking forward to all the new capability!

GT

"SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
> The 4DTV model 922 is considered the standard forward model for
digital
> consumer receivers in C-Band.I have a model 920 ( a previous line
model)
> and I still use it.The 922 has a few more features PLUS DD 5.1
> capability.I paid $799.00 in 2001 for my 920 ( a replacement for one
> that failed).If they are offering one for half price,plus it is a
> boot AND you are still desiring C-Band,I would get it.There are
several
> digital channels on the Ku-Band side of Galaxy 4 (X4).Only you can
> determine whether they are important enough to add Ku
capability.They
> are Fox Movie Channel,Lifetime Movie Network,ESPN News
Channel,Outdoor
> Life Network,TOON Disney,Good Life TV Network,National Geographic
> Channel,Game Show Network, and 38 DMX (Digital Music Express) audio
> channels.You WILL need a Ku-Band LNB if you want those channels.Plus
> lot of news and sports wildfeeds on a lot of other sats.
> In another vein,I would also recommend adding a MPEG-2 DVB free to
air
> receiver.You can either slave it to your 4DTV or operate it
separately
> on another dish.This is another digital format entirely and has a
lot of
> free stuff on it,although the programming it receives is not as
"fixed"
> as on the 4DTV (some of it is).These receivers run about $150-$300
US
> retail.
> Also,if you are in to HD there are 6 High Definition C-Band
> channels,but you will need to get an add-on HDD-200 or 201 decoder
> receive these.I have heard the HD on these channels are superb,even
> exceeding the quality of the DBS HD offerings.I have tried to get
> one,but they are getting harder to get as GI/Motorola does not
> manufacture them anymore.But ,whatever you decide.....good luck!

June 26, 2004 7:41:48 PM

If you have a lnb of decent nf, i.e., 17-30 degrees Kelvin, you do NOT
have to have a digital ready lnb. The 4DTV receiver will work ok.
The problem with all 4DTV receivers is the video demodular is not as
sensitive as it could be. This means you must have a stronger signal
inputed to the receiver for noise free/non-pixel freezing reception. The
NPS deal is not good. You will be paying a lot of money for programing
that is overpriced. Go to www.satmart.com and buy your receiver from
them. They seem to have the lowest prices. To me a satellite tv
installation is not complete without Ku band reception capability. I
would add it.

GT wrote:

> I've been using a Chaparral Monterey 95 receiver for the last decade,
> and have been extremely happy with it. However, with much of the
> programming moving to digital, I want to put that capability in my
> system. I want to stay with C Band, because I can get ala carte
> programming. I don't want to pay excessive amounts for package
> programming I won't use - such as Dish & Direct offer.
>
> I know I will need to put in a high stability LNB.
>
> Any comments about an adapter connected to the Monterey to decode the
> digital stream? Which one gives the best results?
>
> But I'm thinking it would be best to have it all in one unit rather
> than multiple boxes and multiple remotes.
>
> My programming is currently through NPS, and they are now offering a
> Motorola DSR-922 digital receiver for half price with an annual
> subscription to HBO/Cinemax. I'm suspicious that maybe this unit is
> going obsolete and they are clearing out stock. Are there better
> units out there?
>
> Also, is there any value in adding KU Band while I am doing the
> upgrade? I have a 10' solid dish which is very stable.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> GT
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:19:33 PM

In addition to adding Ku-Band to a 4DTV system,I would also consider
adding an FTA (free to air) DVB [Digital Video Broadcast] as an adjunct
to the 4DTV system.It is another type of MPEG-2 digital receiver and has
quite a lot of programming on it.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:04:15 AM

D I S S A G R E E The NPS deal is a good one. Standard cost for HBO/Cine
is $170.

!