Sign in with
Your question

What are SATA and IDE cables

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2010 10:40:27 PM

Hello,
I want to install Ubunto on an external hard drive, however it's very important that all my internal hard drives be disconnected, I have a Toshiba laptop, 64 bit Win.7 Dual core 2.20 GHZ. And I have no idea how to do that, can someone please HELP
Thanks

More about : sata ide cables

a c 415 G Storage
June 21, 2010 11:35:11 PM

The only way to disconnect your internal hard drives is to open up the laptop and unplug them. The details vary between laptops - it can range from fairly easy to quite difficult.

Look on the underside of your laptop for the model number and then Google "Toshiba <model-number> drive replacement" and you'll probably find someone who's documented how to get to the drive.
June 22, 2010 3:21:23 PM

Huge thx for the reply : )
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 22, 2010 4:06:20 PM

maybe go into your bios & mark that drive as not installed? Would that suffice?
June 23, 2010 6:09:03 PM

haven't thought about that, I'll give it a shot. One question though, will I have to reinstall the drive after I'm done, or simply just recheck it as installed ??
THANKS for replying
a b G Storage
June 23, 2010 7:10:00 PM

You don't really "install" a hard drive, so you should just be able to re-enable it. In the old old old days, you might have to put in all the sectors & head info, but no longer ;) 
June 24, 2010 10:05:19 PM

OK it was stupid of me to use the word "install" what I meant was, will I lose the data I have on the drive if I disable it ???
a b G Storage
June 25, 2010 12:19:34 AM

no, it tells the computer not to talk to it basically.

Of course, for the really paranoid amongst us, it's a good idea to back up anything critical ahead of time.
June 25, 2010 5:36:24 AM

gtvr said:
no, it tells the computer not to talk to it basically.

Of course, for the really paranoid amongst us, it's a good idea to back up anything critical ahead of time.

Unfortunately I'm one of the paranoid ones, so I'll be backing up my system
HUGE thanks for the help, can't tell you how much I appreciate it :D 
!