GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H heatsink problem

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
hey guys,
I am not sure if this is the right section to post under but i have a question!
i have the GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H mobo with a 720be x3 cpu. i got the Xigmatek Dark Knight heatsink to cool it but the thing is too big and blocks my first 2 ram slots. It is fine height wise but it just annoys me that it covers the first two ram slots. Do you guys know of any cpu coolers that don't block the ram slots on this motherboard? Any advice would be great! Thanks

-Wayne

willburns

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Hi Wayne,

I'm looking to use the same board, so this is a good question. Looking at the heatsink, it looks like maybe you are being forced to mount it with the fins sticking out over the ram. Correct?

I was looking at the following heat sink. It seems that even if it sticks out too far, it should be symmetrical such that the fan could be placed on the opposite side.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200015

I also saw someone using Zalman CNPS9500A, but I'm not sure how they were mounting it.

Good luck.

-Will

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Thanks for the reply! I am thinking of actually purchasing that Rosewill heatsink that you linked. It got some good reviews and it will fit great in my Antec p182 case. I am going to order it tonight and when I get it I will let you know how it works with the motherboard! Thanks again

willburns

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Hi Wayne,

I hope the heat sink worked out. I ended up getting the similar mobo without onboard video. I found the Scythe Mugen 2 cooler, that someone had successfully used it. I bought that one. It is huge. But the way it sits on the board, as long as you install memory before the cooler, it fits with the memory in slots 1 and 2. (Not tall memory, just regular height.) Also, because it is a screw down solution it is very stable on the board and does accidentally slide back and forth on the CPU.