Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard failure?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 10, 2009 10:21:05 PM

I'm having some problems on my desktop Emachine W2925. The computer will not start up, but rather the status LED will constantly stay on, and the fan is spinning at full power (like it's supposed to for a few seconds at startup) constantly. Does this sound like the motherboard took a hit?

More about : motherboard failure

a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2009 1:19:43 AM

Could be your PSU.
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2009 1:39:58 AM

could be alot of things. Do you hear any beeps coming from the computer?
Related resources
May 11, 2009 2:15:25 AM

No, there's no beeps, and no display. Doesn't boot to Bios. I recently replaced the Power Supply b/c the old one failed. Maybe it took out the motherboard with it???
May 12, 2009 12:32:27 PM

Anybody else have any ideas?
May 12, 2009 3:56:10 PM

You need to reset your CMOS battery, also power up your motherboard, CPU and PSU (ofcourse), but do this after you reset your CMOS battery, leave it out for about 10 seconds and then put it back in, and then go into your BIOS and set your BIOS up, then WA-LA, make sure your PC posts though (makes a beeping sound at boot-up). Hope this helps.
May 12, 2009 8:45:43 PM

aoked said:
You need to reset your CMOS battery, also power up your motherboard, CPU and PSU (ofcourse), but do this after you reset your CMOS battery, leave it out for about 10 seconds and then put it back in, and then go into your BIOS and set your BIOS up, then WA-LA, make sure your PC posts though (makes a beeping sound at boot-up). Hope this helps.

I took out the battery, waited for about 20 seconds and put it back in. Nothing changed. Upon powering up, the same symptoms are here...no video, no beeps, and fan is still on "high". Any more suggestions? Does this sound like a motherboard issue, or a Processor issue...or neither/both?

Thanks again for your help.
May 13, 2009 6:59:15 AM

am having similar issues so people need to help us with this issue....any one please help us out....
June 11, 2009 6:38:52 AM

Mine is doing the same thing.

I know I can get it back on when turning off the power switch in the back until the LED light goes off... and then power back on it tells me that I get a failure and takes me into my BIOS. I by pass everything and then my computer starts up normally. Sometimes I have to repeat until it works. Its only temporary until I turn my PC off again.

I was going to buy a new power supply (mine's about 2 years old and it was a cheap one) until I spoke to a friend... He suggested that I might just have to reset the battery in my motherboard which sounded like it might be a solution... He was going to walk me through it so I didn't mess my PC up.. but I got another friend to walk me through it... because I would have to reset things in the BIOS and I am not 100% fluent in that yet.

It didn't work, the same things are still happening, but I do suspect that I need to replace the battery. The time which is a good indicator of battery trouble is seeming to be running just fine, however I still suspect it might be that the battery is failing.

Not sure if this would help anyone, but I suggest you look at the battery in your motherboard or the power supply.

(My motherboard is a little older than the power supply).

Hope this helps someone out there! :)  I know computers can be frustrating sometimes.
!