Your question

Some fun with fermi

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 2, 2010 12:24:56 AM

Hey old friends,

I decided to start posting my benching results on here....this does not mean im coming back to post in other threads.

Ive been benching Fermi lately with a custom pot I made.

Done with a GTX 470.

First with dice to prepare myself for what to expect from this card:

back of the card

Then with ln2:

I reached 881 mhz on the core furmark stable. I was having problems with GPU ram CB though, so i could only pull it down to like -70c. Guess i better insulate it better next time.

Im hoping with a volt mod and better insulation i can reach a #2 WR. :sol: 

-Enjoy,

Overshocked

More about : fun fermi

a c 177 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2010 12:40:45 AM

I was looking at the first pic, and was like WTF is he talking about, thats a pot on the CPU not a fermi. Once I saw the lower pics I understood what was going on. I've never seen a bend like that, wouldn't it be better to rotate the board so you didn't need to use a bend like that?

You said benchmark results, what were they? I see 881MHz, but thats not a benchmark.
m
l
June 2, 2010 1:06:16 AM

Are you referring to the bend in the GPU pot?

Here is a pic of it with all the insulation off:

I didn't do any benchmarks on this card. I wasted all my ln2 trying to get over a hump in the CPU. Then i turned over to fermi with only like 5l left. And that thing just eats ln2 man. I go through it so fast.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2010 1:43:53 AM

^ Lucky Charms? Seriously????? :lol: 
m
l
June 2, 2010 1:51:09 AM

Hey man, they're freak'n delicious.

Best cereal ever made!
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2010 3:27:56 AM

Yeah, thats the bend I'm talking about. I'm no OCing expert but 1) I've seen a bend like that and 2) heat rises but I'm not sure about how well it would handle the bend. I would think you're better off OCing the CPU on air/water, and turn the MB so you can use a more pot on the GPU.

And I agree, don't knock lucky charms. Not only is it the best cereal made, but its healthy to. Better then special K with berry and a lot of other "healthy" crap people buy.
m
l
June 2, 2010 12:50:42 PM

4745454b said:
Yeah, thats the bend I'm talking about. I'm no OCing expert but 1) I've seen a bend like that and 2) heat rises but I'm not sure about how well it would handle the bend. I would think you're better off OCing the CPU on air/water, and turn the MB so you can use a more pot on the GPU.

TBH it doesnt matter that heat rises. Your relying on the boiling of the liquid nitrogen to cool it. So no heat of the GPU is actually going into the ln2.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2010 2:19:10 PM

Technically correct? Doesn't a warm spot develop in the LN2 that's next to where the GPU is? I would think with that bend your sort of artificially making a slightly smaller POT? Or sort of two of them connected together?

I'm just thinking that if your going for record #2, you want your setup to be as good as possible. Something that reduces the efficiency of it can't be good right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2010 4:13:33 PM

overshocked1234 said:
Hey man, they're freak'n delicious.

Best cereal ever made!

lol. I haven't eaten ANY breakfast ceriels (Luckycharms, Cornflakes,etc) for the last 2+ years.
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:50:39 AM

Quote:
My 470 can hit 900mhz core on just water ;) 

That is amazing dude. You have one hell of a card. :ouch: 

What volts are you using?
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:54:46 AM

4745454b said:
Technically correct? Doesn't a warm spot develop in the LN2 that's next to where the GPU is? I would think with that bend your sort of artificially making a slightly smaller POT? Or sort of two of them connected together?

I'm just thinking that if your going for record #2, you want your setup to be as good as possible. Something that reduces the efficiency of it can't be good right?

Theres no such thing as a "warm spot" in the ln2.

As soon as the ln2 reaches above -196c then it will boil away
m
l
a c 249 U Graphics card
a c 171 K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 1:24:01 AM

You scare me .... I'd be wearing space gloves and a 10" thick insulated rubber apron to protect my dangly bits :) 
m
l
June 3, 2010 3:03:02 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
You scare me .... I'd be wearing space gloves and a 10" thick insulated rubber apron to protect my dangly bits :) 

Meh....

Ive dipped my hand in the stuff before. The Leidenfrost effect protects you from frostbite with short exposure.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 3:31:21 AM

You are totally missing my point, nevermind.

Get it up to 1GHz, and post those benchies.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 5:59:06 AM

^- now THAT i would like to see!
m
l
June 3, 2010 5:56:33 PM

That my friend is amazing!
Hats off to you sir!

4745454b said:
You are totally missing my point, nevermind.

Get it up to 1GHz, and post those benchies.

Sorry, wasnt real sure what you were getting at there m8.
:) 
Its kind of a classic design. I needed a cheap pot that could perform on dice and ln2. This serves t
m
l
June 3, 2010 5:57:02 PM

Quote:
Stock Bios and 1.087v. There's a "Death" bios floating over at XS that allow's for the voltage to be turned up to 1.2v :ouch: 

Id like to do it the right way and just V-mod it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2010 3:56:56 AM

Psycho, that is awesome.

moar benchies plx?
m
l
!