Sign in with
Your question

Ok Im coming home soon

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2008 6:30:07 AM

So as the topic states I soon will return to the states from a long deployment. I recently got a portion of my bonus and am wanting to put together a decent build for around the price of 1000 to 1500 U.S. dollars.

Im looking to run the new Core i7 chipset possibly or whatever someone thinks would be the best for gaming. Im really open to anything that is either the Quad Core or the i7, but I would prefer the i7.

I plan to run Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit as my OS.

Any suggestions would be great because Id like to build this thing as soon as I get home and start gaming.

More about : coming home

December 28, 2008 6:43:42 AM

i7 920: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Gigabyte X58: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair DDR3 1600 3x1gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
NZXT Tempest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sapphire 4870 1Gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU Corsair 750TX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That comes out to be less than $1200. I was hesitant on the PSU and video card because I don't know what monitor you have, or if you need to buy one.
December 28, 2008 6:44:47 AM

First, Thank You for serving our country. We cannot ever give back what you have given up.

If you go with the I7 CPU, that will push the rig out of your budget. I have a rule of thumb for gaming; CPU/MB$=GPU$. The lowest price on a I7 is $300. Add a MB which start at $200. Starting to see where I am at?

For a good gaming rig, I would go with a P45 MB, a Dual core and either a 4870 or a 260. Those would put you about $650 for good parts. Rest just fall into place. Scan Newegg for parts and lets us know about anything you come up with.
Related resources
December 28, 2008 6:48:03 AM

I am going to be needing a monitor as well, but do not know much about them. Im not sure which type of video will give me the best video quality. Any suggestions for that would be awesome as well. Id like something around the size of 22" or maybe a little smaller, but something pleasing to the eyes.
December 28, 2008 6:48:47 AM

$1000-$1500 without a monitor is very do-able. Otherwise, it might be a bit much.
December 28, 2008 6:53:24 AM

Well may I get suggestions for a good build then with the amount of cash I am willing to spend. If so i can upgrade down the road because I am sure I will be deployed again sometime in the future. haha
December 28, 2008 6:59:25 AM

It is probably a smarter move to downgrade the CPU to something cheaper and then either get a 4870X2 or Crossfire something.
December 28, 2008 7:16:23 AM

This is my first ever build so Im really trying to get a feel for computer building. My job is computers in the military so I have some knowledge on the subject, just not as much as maybe some others would have.
December 28, 2008 7:49:21 AM

Also I plan on overclocking so I would like suggestions for a heatsink to throw on it. Id also like some suggestions as far as what you may think I can overclock to with this chip.
December 28, 2008 8:36:55 AM

Try this for a complete gaming build based on the "older" platform of P45 chipset and Core 2 Duo CPU:

CPU: Intel E7400 dual core, $140

RAM: Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000, 2x2GB, $67

Mobo: Asus P5Q, non-Crossfire, $120

Video Card: eVGA GTX 260 Core 216, 55nm version, $255

HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB (AALS version), $80

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223F (no Lightscribe), $25

Case: Coolermaster RC-690, $80

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W, $110

Heatsink: Xigmatek HDT-S1283, $37

Bracket: Xigmatek Backplate, $8.50

Thermal Paste: Arctic Cooling MX-2, $7

OS: Windows XP SP3 OEM, $140 (substitute Vista if you'd like--yes I did read the OP)

Monitor: Samsung T-220 22" LCD, $280

Mouse: Logitech G5, $47

Keyboard: Logitech G15, $90

Total: $1,486.50, plus taxes and shipping, less $80 of mail in rebates

All links and prices to Newegg.com only; I didn't look at any combo deals.

If you'd like to trim the budget, then suggest you cut back on the mouse & keyboard as I've included fancy ones here.

I've put in the newest 55nm video card, which should be available soon. If it's not by the time you order, then get the older 65 nm versions of that card which are all in stock.

This configuration leaves you plenty of overclocking room as well.

I'm also from the single video card school of thought, but if you wanted to build in Crossfire capability down the road, then substitute these two items instead:

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro, $130

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB, $240

I've also left you enough headroom in the PSU for Crossfire.

I'm sure that others will chime in with their preferences and knocks, but I think that this would be a great gaming rig for you within your budget, without going to the more expensive i7 platform. The rig is slanted with more GPU and smaller monitor so that you can game with higher settings and eye candy.

Good luck!
December 28, 2008 11:53:49 AM

Akebono 98 said:

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro, $130

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB, $240

I've also left you enough headroom in the PSU for Crossfire.

Good luck!

I would agree with this reply.

Going for a ATI card makes more sense. If this one is to expensive, take the HD4850 instead.

Keyboard, mouse can be cheaper. Invest this money in a better CPU (E8400 if possible depending on price).

Quad core does not help much yet, as most applications are optimized for single or dual core. You will find that a quicker dual core is in general better for the games then a slower dual core.

The I7 is a bit fast, but for gaming maybe only 10 to 15%, while in cost it will make a bigger difference. If you read articles on this, you will see tha these chips are aimed more for improvement in busniss market (Servers etc.), where the difference is bigger.

So at the moment, selecting an Intel Dual Core CPU, a ATI HD4850/4870 (with future upgrade option of Crossfire) seems to be the money smart think to do.

With this set up, you can now have fun. In a few years, when the computer is strugling, add a 2nd card.
You can also go crazy and take even the more expensive Asus P5Q3 Deluxe. This model has quad crossfire option, allowing you in the future to combine 4x a HD8450/4870. For now much to expensive, but in a few years when upgrading is needed, these cards will cost nothing at all.
December 28, 2008 3:29:20 PM

Quote:
Why would you title your post "OK I'm coming home soon", lol.

Maybe "Help me with $1200 build", would have made more sense??

It got you to look didnt it? :p 

But anyways anymore suggestions would be great. I am very appreciative of all the information given so far.
December 28, 2008 6:24:31 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions would be great because Id like to build this thing as soon as I get home and start gaming.

Comes with the OS you wanted. Something to consider when you start forking over the cash for the Core i7 processor, RAM and MB. Purchased seperately the 920, MB and RAM rerquire some serious money. haha. You can buy a quad core with a 780G for a hundred and seventy five bucks. LOL. :sol: 

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
December 28, 2008 6:56:35 PM

Welcome back to the states when you are finally back. Those long hours must be killing you. I am in the service myself.

Anyway, I recommend the Acer H213H LCD monitor. It's 21.5", sports HD at 1020p, and it is $199 ($189 if you use the promo code before Jan 1st). I think it is a good deal for an HD monitor. Reviews are solid too. It can go up to a max of 1920x1080 resolution. It has DVI-D, HDMI, and D-SUB connections. The speakers on it suck, but that really doesn't matter, least I don't think it does.
December 28, 2008 7:04:00 PM

Multiplicity said:
Welcome back to the states when you are finally back. Those long hours must be killing you. I am in the service myself.

Anyway, I recommend the Acer H213H LCD monitor. It's 21.5", sports HD at 1020p, and it is $199 ($189 if you use the promo code before Jan 1st). I think it is a good deal for an HD monitor. Reviews are solid too. It can go up to a max of 1920x1080 resolution. It has DVI-D, HDMI, and D-SUB connections. The speakers on it suck, but that really doesn't matter, least I don't think it does.

LOL...I bought this yesteray. Can't wait to get it Tuesday.
December 28, 2008 7:15:29 PM

Lucky bum. I have to wait until late Jan or early Feb to get it and I ordered before you. :p  Really, for a monitor that features all those things, the price is well worth it, I think.
December 28, 2008 7:27:42 PM

Yea, I'm looking forward to getting this. 19 x 10 with 20k to 1. 5ms. I using 16 x 10 800 to 1 5 ms 22". Right after I bought it I drove to fry's electronics and they had this for $189, same price. It look nice on display, but with a still pic.8(

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/...

Hey, I can tell you how nice mine looks and give you hope til Feb. 8)
December 28, 2008 8:02:28 PM

That is not a bad monitor either. And yes, it'd be appreciated if you let me know how the monitor performs. :) 
December 29, 2008 4:41:06 AM

One subtle point about monitors here, if it matters to you at all.

I picked the Samsung T-220 because it has very nice image quality, although it is a little more expensive than some of the others. It has a native resolution of 1680x1050, which is fine for gaming and other desktop applications.

The Acer 21.5", on the other hand, has a native resolution of 1920x1080, which coincides with the required resolution for true hi-def and its 16x9 aspect ratio.

So if you'd ever like to watch hi-def on your rig in the future, be aware that you won't get true hi-def unless your monitor runs at 1920x1080 native resolution--anything else will require pixel scaling and corresponding loss of sharpness.
December 31, 2008 9:04:40 PM

Multiplicity said:
That is not a bad monitor either. And yes, it'd be appreciated if you let me know how the monitor performs. :) 

I like the H213H a lot. The installation disk has a great, I found it great, picture tuning program. Never touched the front panel adjustment buttons! The included software can adjust the brightness, contrast, color, etc. Yeah, 1080p 20000:1 CR, 19 x 10 beats the heck out of my 16 x 10, 700:1. I'm glad I bought this. It's a very nice, noticable upgrade to my personal PC. I used a DVI/HDMI adapter and ran it through the HDMI input. Currently using two 3870's in Crossfirex on this system. Eventually I will get a couple of Blu Ray players. One for this and one for the 40" Samsung 1080i. Take care.

Screenshot.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2172/berenger1986qp8...

!