Gigabyte MA69VM-S2..northbridge heat question

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Hi guys

I bought this Gigabyte MA69VM-S2 board 1 year ago and never set it up until recently. It is an AM2 board with a 690V chipset..

board-sm.jpg

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/gigabyte/ma69vm-s2/chipset-cooler.jpg[/qimg]

Awesome performance. Only concern I have is the northbridge temp..when I put my finger on it's roasting. I'm worried I may have let the thermal paste/pad (if there is any), for too long before I powered it up.

So basically I just wondered if anyone else has this board, and if they notice the chipset getting hot. If it's natural fine, but I can't put my finger on it for long without it burning and I really don't fancy leaving it running like that. Any ideas? Thank you.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Update. I left machine on for an house then updated the BIOS from F5 to the latest F9.

Whereas previously I was unable to touch the Northbridge for longer than 5 seconds without burning my hands, I can now touch it for considerably longer so it feels nowhere near as hot, in fact it's only warm. The CPU temp is 29 degrees.

So it looks like the BIOS update may have fixed it (perhaps they lowered the chipset voltage).

With this issue resolved I have to say that since building rigs for about 15 years this has been the easiest one apart from the close proximity of the Northbridge to the PCI-E slot and the prior heat issue. The CPU and I/O performance is excellent even when Windows is fully loaded, and the quality of the components Gigabyte have used is second-to-none.

Mohinesh Patil

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

please check my problem.....can a BIOS update cure my problem too???

please help me i am in the same situation....