Why doesn't my computer see my hard drive

BurgerBill

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I have a compaq D510 small form factor. I installed a 400G hard drive. When I first boot it says no hard drive save settings? press F1 which I do. Then iot says found HD 400G save settings press F1 which I do. It then operates okay until it hibernates and I have to reboot 2 times all over. If I hit restyart it seems to be okay as long as I don't shut off. Can anyone help?
Thanks Bill

Is that drive new? It sounds like the drive is taking longer to spin up than the BIOS takes to check the installed hardware. First make sure the power cable is connected well, and that there are no adapters which can sometimes cause power issues.

If the above is good then go into the BIOS and see if there is a setting that says something like "fast boot", or "fast hardware check", or "fast memory check", and say no so that the BIOS will take longer before it looks for the hard drive.

BurgerBill

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

The drive is 6 mo. old originally had no problem with it. I just went in to my bios after a shut down and I could not find anything about fast boot. BUT I noticed that hard drive was not in the list of boot order.
I have changed the battery as well.
Some additional info may help. My pc only has 1 drive. I changed the cable so I could put 2 grives in and copy from 1 to the other. It recognized both drives immediately. It was after that I went back to 1 drive it would not recognize the drive. I have tried both cables and receive the same response so it is not the cable. This is aggravating.
Thanks again Bill

BurgerBill

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

When it was working it was in the CS mode which it is set to now. I don't recall seeing a no jumper setting
Thanks Bill