Sign in with
Your question

OC CoreI7-980X with Asus Rampage III extreme (noob wants to OC) HELP!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 2, 2010 5:28:48 AM

Hi,

Recently, i just got myself a new PC and I want to OC my system but i'm very noobish with OC-ing therefore I would be glad if anyone could help me out with my build. I just want to OC to at least 4Ghz with my specs.

Processor: Intel CoreI7-980X
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III extreme
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Memory: OCZ PC3-16000 Platinum 2000mhz CL9
PSU: Toughpower 1500W
GPU: GTX480

Can anyone out there provide me with a guide to how I can OC my system thanks! :??: 
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2010 8:00:27 AM

Read a few Core i7 920 overclocking guides, it really doesn't matter if it's the i7 920 as the i7 980X overclocks in the same manner. If you want a little quick overclock, just up the multiplier to 27 to get an approximate 3.6GHz overclock. If you have any extra questions or problems afterwards, ask here.

I'm just wondering though, do you really need to overclock your i7 980X? I'd have thought 12 threads of 3.33GHz would be able to rip application to shreds. Just a question...
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 6:58:46 AM

Lmeow said:
Read a few Core i7 920 overclocking guides, it really doesn't matter if it's the i7 920 as the i7 980X overclocks in the same manner. If you want a little quick overclock, just up the multiplier to 27 to get an approximate 3.6GHz overclock. If you have any extra questions or problems afterwards, ask here.

I'm just wondering though, do you really need to overclock your i7 980X? I'd have thought 12 threads of 3.33GHz would be able to rip application to shreds. Just a question...

Hi Lmeow,

Since I need to up my multiplier to do a slight OC. In that case, do i need to disable intel eist & turbo boost?

With best regards,
Lex_twc
m
l
June 3, 2010 9:25:29 AM

Lmeow said:

Hi

Disregards my last question.

I need to check with you if i want to up my multipliers, do i need to 'disable' my Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech and also the Intel (R) Turbo Mode tech.

In order for me to up my multiplier, I need to set 'manual' for AI Overclock Tuner and then i just have to increase the CPU Ratio Setting rite? I also have to keep BCLK at the default frequency, 133.33MHz.

Is this what I need to do for my simple OC.

Pls advise? Thanks!

With best regards,
lex_twc

m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 9:50:19 AM

Take a look at jsc's links first, then it'll allow you to understand what you're actually doing.

I do suggest turning off Intel SpeedStep, but leave Turbo Mode on. As for the motherboard options, I don't have an ASUS X58 board sorry, so I'm not sure what those features would be. You don't have to keep the BCLK at stock, you can increase it to overclock it a little, although if you push it too high you'll need to start increasing voltages.
m
l
!