Your question

Computer running slow

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2009 12:50:02 PM

My computer is a dell E520 2.8ghz pemtium-D, 4gigs ram, 512 video card. When I try to play games on it, games that I have a the specs beat on by a mile, it still runs very slow and choppy. I have to turn down my settings on everything to its absolute minimum setting and it still is almost unplayable. I did do a reinstall back in February of XP, but I downloaded all of the drivers for the chipsets and things off of the dell site using my service tag linked to my computer. My video card is a GeForce 7300 LE.

Having said all of that, I was wondering if I can increase the speed of my computer any without going and buying a whole new one. If i get a different video card would that help? I already have 4gigs of ram, but do I need more? My 3d mark score on this computer is less than 3,000, and my laptop can get that score at half the resources.

Thanks for your help and time,
Chris

More about : computer running slow

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2009 3:14:33 PM

That card is not very capable for most modern games, not sure what you are trying to run.

I looked up the specs on a dell e520, it has a PCIex16 slot. You can a different card for pretty cheap that will crush the 7300le. Check out the Charts section and research a card or two that fits your budget. Check the forums if you have questions about some of the cards.
March 25, 2009 6:14:42 PM

The card is probably a problem. So is the processor. A Pentium D is ancient now-a-days.
!