Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Different core temps with H50 water cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 3, 2010 12:00:37 AM

Hi,

I recetly installed a Corsair H50-1 water cooler onto my i7 860 in my coolermaster cm690 case.

I think perhaps I did not seat the cooling plate properly on my processor because there are some temperature differences between the cores. At idle there is a temperature difference between cores of up to 9 degrees C and under full load in prime 95 there is a temperature difference of 4 degrees C. So you can see that it is more evident when idle. what do you think I should do? Do you think I haven't seated it correctly also? Should I get some more thermal paste and try again???

Thanks,

Duncan

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 12:34:46 AM

Kind of hard to seat it incorrectly.
I had roughly the same differences in core temps with repeated installations, just stopped worrying about it.
June 3, 2010 12:48:13 AM

I don't know?? considering you have to screw it down and presumably get equal tension in each screw to create equal pressure of the cooling plate accross the processor it seems to me like it could easily be seated incorrectly.... no??
m
l
Related resources
a c 148 K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 1:04:32 AM

4C I wouldn't worry about....9C is way outta the norm. What TIM did you use ?....Artic Silver can take a looong time to cure ... as much as a year per reviews.

Note that the H50 is not among the elite of coolers, coming in about 4.5C below the top performer:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

I find a good run for 15 minutes at a OC above (5C) what you plan to run at gives the TIM a good heating up and it settles in a bit better at temps that you'd normally run at.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 1:56:03 AM

CheckMate2010 said:
I don't know?? considering you have to screw it down and presumably get equal tension in each screw to create equal pressure of the cooling plate accross the processor it seems to me like it could easily be seated incorrectly.... no??

No.
If each of the screws are tightened till they stop the mount will be even, unless the plastic inserts are different sizes.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 5:32:03 AM

It's pretty normal to have a difference of 4-6C, and typically Core 0 is the highest under load. I've read some threads where people claim Intel purposely has the Core 0 Tmax slightly off so it reads a few degrees higher for throttling purposes - ie: only 1 core will reach really dangerous temps. If that's true I don't know. I've lapped my CPU and HS, and reapplied it multiple times with Arctic Silver 5 and the core temp difference from 0 to 3 under load is almost always 5C. This is with an i5 750.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 11:27:11 AM

wolfram23 said:
It's pretty normal to have a difference of 4-6C, and typically Core 0 is the highest under load. I've read some threads where people claim Intel purposely has the Core 0 Tmax slightly off so it reads a few degrees higher for throttling purposes - ie: only 1 core will reach really dangerous temps. If that's true I don't know. I've lapped my CPU and HS, and reapplied it multiple times with Arctic Silver 5 and the core temp difference from 0 to 3 under load is almost always 5C. This is with an i5 750.

Yep, and at idle there is nothing using all 4 cores at once, so there tends to be a greater difference.
m
l
June 3, 2010 11:36:28 AM

Great thanks for everyones opinions! I'm more confident that everything is satisfactory now!!
m
l
June 4, 2010 12:08:06 AM

Best answer selected by CheckMate2010.
m
l
!