davidyu

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I have recently bought a new case Antec 300, removed everything from my old computer and put it in the new case. When i turned it on the fans would spin and stop, spin and stop but no boot sound. I tried removing it from the new case and then plugged everything in without the case and it would work. So then i put it back into the case and then fans would just spin and stop spin and stop. SO then i took it out again tried to boot it up without the case again but would just spin and stop spin and stop.

I have did this for 2 days and now i am frustrated sigh.

Any Ideas?

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Sometimes the underside of the motherboard is touching some part of the case, and that contact point causes a short-circuit.

Double-check your stand-offs too, because you may have installed one that is not needed, and it's making contact with a motherboard circuit.

MRFS

davidyu

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
am i suppose to put a stand off screw in every hole to my motherboard? also i dont have a io shield installed do i need that?

Yes you need that.
Every hole on your motherboard that is protected by a copper grommet that matches a hole on the motherboard tray should be used for the most stability of your mounting.

davidyu

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
=/ right now i have hexagonal screws with teeth under them is that the problem? i should be using the screws with a flat bottem correct? =/

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hey guys, if my case already has built in metal risers is that good enough? Its all the same material as the case, it is just indented creating a riser for the mobo to sit on.

Second, I did get some small cardboard washer looking things, should I install those underneath the mobo, in between the case risers and the mobo cutting off any metal to mobo contectivity?

davidyu, as long as you have one standoff installed for each motherboard mounting hole, you'll be fine. Short circuits occur when people install all standoffs that could possibly be mounted under a standard ATX motherboard, but standard ATX motherboards usually have 9 holes, not 10. When in doubt, read the installation instructions that came with your case.

Spitfire7, when required, the isolation washers should go between the motherboard and the standoffs. A good answer can be found at http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/102326-using-motherboard-standoffs-isolation.html

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Thanks ghislaing,

Would i still need the copper standoffs even though my case already came with pre-made standoff risers? From the other forum it sounded like more connectivity from the mobo to the case the better for grounding purposes.

You need to install the additional standoffs only if one isn't already there for a given mounting hole in the motherboard. Don't add additional standoffs on top of the ones that already exist - if you do, you won't be able to fit the motherboard properly.