3 video cards damaged! What is the problem?

rrr3521

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hi, I have an issue that keeps coming back and it seems to be due to my video card getting too hot. Eventually the card makes the system unstable and has to be replaced.

I use Premiere Pro CS3 with the Magic Bullets Looks (MBL) plugin.

My initial system:
Motherboard: Asus P5NSLI
Chip: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Processor
Video Card: two nVidia 6700 with SLI enabled
Power Supply: 450W
Two hard drives: 250GB and 500GB

Both of the 6700 cards burned; one three months after the other. The card fan gets damaged first due to heat and then the card without the fan just fries. Of course, this is noticeable first in Premiere Pro and also when using MBL.

Three months ago I replaced the last of the 6700s by the more robust nVidia FX 1500. I also added two fans inside the computer to help remove some of the heat. Another change was an additional hard drive and a 600W power supply.

Last week I started experiencing issues with MBL where I can’t render video for over 5 minutes. I do notice that the card gets hotter when using PP and MBL.

At this point I am thinking if it could be the motherboard that is damaging my video cards. I am willing to change my motherboard to a new one, but I thought I would ask first … what really makes the video card hot.

Could the video card be getting hot by:

a.The computer motherboard. Perhaps a faulty circuitry damaging the video cards. So far 3 video cards.

b.Combiantion of software and bad, cheap materials used in PNY video cards. I tested the fx 1500 with FurMark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/) and the card fails the Stability Test – Xtreme Burning Mode. In less than one minute the card shuts down and the monitor goes black. The card is really hot at this point. Temperature log starts at 50C and go up to 60C.

I will exchange my fx 1500 since it is still under warranty and probably sell the new card. I’m getting the nVidia 8800GTS by XFX. They offer lifetime warranty. But, then again, I’m afraid that same thing may happen three months later.

Again, I’m ready to change my motherboard. If you think this may be the reason of my issues, what motherboard brand/model would you recommend with my existing components?

Motherboard: NEW???
Chip: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Processor
Video Card: nVidia 8800 GTS by XFX
Power Supply: 600W
Two hard drives: one 250GB and two 500GB

I don’t care about over-clocking, but I do care about Heat!!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Raul.

How big and what type of case do you have? A pic would be good:)

The fx 1500 should be good for much higher temperatures. Many cards IDLE at 60 degrees and most can go to 90 without hurting (unless you touch it, then it hurts) if it`s failing at 60 something is quite wrong, so returning it might be a good idea.
Try installing something like one of these under the card to pull the heat away from it;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110573%201372526581&name=PCI%20Slot%20Case%20Cooler