cannot get sims to run

i've installed the sims 2 and i cannot get it to run. it keeps giving me a
message about failing to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters?
i'm basic internet savvy with computers.. does this mean i actually have to
purchase a piece of hardware or software?

thanks much.

iris
8 answers Last reply
More about cannot sims

    Means you need to go get directx 9.0c

    "Iris J Jefferson" <ijjefferson@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > i've installed the sims 2 and i cannot get it to run. it keeps giving me
    > message about failing to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics
    adapters?
    > i'm basic internet savvy with computers.. does this mean i actually have
    > purchase a piece of hardware or software?
    >
    > thanks much.
    >
    > iris

    I just read about this problem at the forum at LIU too.
    Seems that the sp2 patch for xp makes the directx files become read-only, so
    even tho it appears to be updating direct x, it really is not.
    Unfortunately it appears that the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows
    xp without sp2 :(
    Maybe if you do that, install sims, then apply sp2 it would work, but i
    really have no idea on that one.

    > I just read about this problem at the forum at LIU too.
    > Seems that the sp2 patch for xp makes the directx files become read-only,
    so
    > even tho it appears to be updating direct x, it really is not.
    > Unfortunately it appears that the only way to fix it is to reinstall
    windows
    > xp without sp2 :(
    > Maybe if you do that, install sims, then apply sp2 it would work, but i
    > really have no idea on that one.

    Yes, that's it.. There was a fix I read somewhere though.. how to
    be able to update your directx.. you may want to search on it, because
    I'm sure I saw a workaround posted on some website somewhere.

    Bluegenie2 wrote:
    > Means you need to go get directx 9.0c

    I thought the game installed that itself if you didn't have it.

    --
    --Cuth

    > Means you need to go get directx 9.0c

    But if you already have DX9.0c installed, then your video
    card is not good enough. But I seem to recall reading about
    a bug of some kind when it first came out.. where many people
    were getting that error, I think it was on Radeon cards using
    older drivers or something. Can't remember. But I'd try the
    tech support over at the main sims 2 website as well.

    Jim Vieira wrote:

    >>Means you need to go get directx 9.0c
    >

    > But if you already have DX9.0c installed, then your video
    > card is not good enough. But I seem to recall reading about
    > a bug of some kind when it first came out.. where many people
    > were getting that error, I think it was on Radeon cards using
    > older drivers or something. Can't remember. But I'd try the
    > tech support over at the main sims 2 website as well.

    Also update your drivers. Maybe a long shot, but it never hurts anyway.
    Even if it doesn't help for Sims, other things might run better.

    --
    --Cuth

    I had the same problem, had to go by a 121.00 vid card

    --
    "Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
    >> Means you need to go get directx 9.0c
    >
    > But if you already have DX9.0c installed, then your video
    > card is not good enough. But I seem to recall reading about
    > a bug of some kind when it first came out.. where many people
    > were getting that error, I think it was on Radeon cards using
    > older drivers or something. Can't remember. But I'd try the
    > tech support over at the main sims 2 website as well.

    >I just read about this problem at the forum at LIU too.
    > Seems that the sp2 patch for xp makes the directx files become read-only,
    > so
    > even tho it appears to be updating direct x, it really is not.
    > Unfortunately it appears that the only way to fix it is to reinstall
    > windows
    > xp without sp2 :(
    > Maybe if you do that, install sims, then apply sp2 it would work, but i
    > really have no idea on that one.

    /unlurk

    I had this problem

    Reinstalled Windows ...and put on the newest XPSP2 and directx was
    "upgraded" to directx 9.0c
    Little bit of a bugger considering that all ya need is DX9.0c but have to
    download a 200+mb file to get it

    typical windows.com

    \lurk

    SiD