Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BT Home-Hub "click" sound then DC

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 29, 2009 2:02:45 PM

Hello, i've been using a BT Home-Hub for around 6 months now, never had any trouble with it, but recently when i stream videos it's been making a "click" sound then disconnecting, it works perfectly fine when downloading, online gaming etc - only disconnects when streaming videos.

The stream starts out fine, then at around 50% - 70% of the buffered video it clicks, cuts out and restarts itself, when it does restart it of course doesn't resume buffering the remaining 30% - 50% of the stream, leaving me only being able to watch partial videos.

To try to solve the problem i've reset to defaults, restarted manually on many occasions, and socketed the Broadband line downstairs instead of upstairs as it's wired not wireless, as i prefer wired.

I haven't contacted BT support yet, as i've heard horror stories and nothing good generally comes out of the £20 you spend on the phone to them so i thought posting here would be more reliable

I'm not exactly a PC mastermind but i can provide more information if needed

More about : home hub click sound

June 1, 2009 4:50:50 PM

Sounds like a power issue is causing the system to restart. That click you hear could be an internal circuit breaker popping.

Does the Hub restart if your are transferring a large file - say 2 gig or more?
June 3, 2009 3:50:05 PM

sturm said:
Sounds like a power issue is causing the system to restart. That click you hear could be an internal circuit breaker popping.

Does the Hub restart if your are transferring a large file - say 2 gig or more?


It does indeedy, somehting that i've only recently started noticing, as i don't download large/largeish things often, i was updating my Nvidia driver yesterday, 81mb file and it conked out at around 71% downloaded

The speed is perfectly fine, i'm getting around 8mb

I've posted on the BT forums also, and read some of the other posts, it seems the lastest Firmware update is the route of it all, but it's not possible to revert back to an old working firmware config apparently
June 3, 2009 9:06:08 PM

I've been doing some testing using Youtube, and it seems i'm only disconnected when watching HD video, i found a video that disconnects me, as i always click watch in HD i used that first, buffered to around 30% and off it went, i then watched the very same video in normal quality but this time rather than kicking me off, it was perfectly fine and the whole video played without problems, i made sure this wasn't a one off, so i rinsed and repeated - same result

Could it be i'm being rejected more bandwidth for HD videos and files somehow? i'm not even remotely close to the download limit outlined in the fair use policy or anything like that, which is why it's baffling.

!