Sign in with
Your question

Scythe Mugen 2 Fan

Last response: in Overclocking
June 3, 2010 1:32:28 AM

It seems the Scythe Mugen 2 is a great cooler, plus it is Cheaper then the Zalman Performa I was thinking of buying. Now, I searched for videos about the Mugen 2, one said that the Fan comes with a Speed Controller. Will I need a Speed controller Drive thing to be able to use the Mugen 2? Or would I have to get another 120mm fan?

More about : scythe mugen fan

a c 145 K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 1:45:57 AM

The Mugen 2 has been replaced by the "Rev. B" 2100 ....read this:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000: Trailing right behind the two leaders is the $35 Mugen-II cooler, which already includes AMD mounting hardware and a premium Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip-Stream fan... all for only half the cost of the the other two options. The SCMG-2000 model has already received honorable mention for our Editors Choice Award pertaining to value, and it consistently finishes at the very top.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The Scythe Mugen-2 Revision B model SCMG-2100 heatsink is identical to the first version, model SCMG-2000. The only difference is that Mugen-2 Rev. B uses a newly developed F.M.S.B. (Flip Mount Super Back-Plate) for more convenient mounting onto the motherboard. There should not be any cooling performance between these two models, despite marketing hype.

Also see http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
June 3, 2010 9:42:42 PM

It seems it does very well. =D Still, the fan worries me, does it plug in like any other fan? Or does it have to be in a fan controller? Also, any idea on what Thermal Paste comes with it?
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2010 11:55:51 AM

i got the revision b last week on my pc and i must say it works perfectly

the fan just plugs in like any other fan so no worries there.
only tricky thing was i had to remove the mobo in order to install it
and i think you have to do the same

there is some thermal paste with it but i used the arctic silver 5 compound because i was told it was better.
I dont know what thermal paste was with it but like i said i didnt use it

running a q9550 @ 3.4 GHz with mid 40C on 100% load and around 30C on idle

hope this helps you ;) 
m
l
June 7, 2010 10:04:56 PM

I have had my Mugen 2 Rev B for about 2 weeks now. I am @ 3.9 on my i5 750. Idle @ about 39-41C and load around 62C with ambient temps 28C. I also have a Coolermaster HAF 922 case with 3x200mm fans. I had no problems with plugging in the fan to my P55 LE mb. The Scythe fan it came with is by far the quietest fan in my system.
m
l
June 8, 2010 7:23:17 AM

This cooler is sick. It's huge and the fan does block the memory slots on my mb (my ram has hs so its taller) if facing the way I want it to. You do not need a speed controller for the fan.
m
l
!