IllustriousValor

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
It seems the Scythe Mugen 2 is a great cooler, plus it is Cheaper then the Zalman Performa I was thinking of buying. Now, I searched for videos about the Mugen 2, one said that the Fan comes with a Speed Controller. Will I need a Speed controller Drive thing to be able to use the Mugen 2? Or would I have to get another 120mm fan?

The Mugen 2 has been replaced by the "Rev. B" 2100 ....read this:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=432&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=23

Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2000: Trailing right behind the two leaders is the $35 Mugen-II cooler, which already includes AMD mounting hardware and a premium Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip-Stream fan... all for only half the cost of the the other two options. The SCMG-2000 model has already received honorable mention for our Editors Choice Award pertaining to value, and it consistently finishes at the very top.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The Scythe Mugen-2 Revision B model SCMG-2100 heatsink is identical to the first version, model SCMG-2000. The only difference is that Mugen-2 Rev. B uses a newly developed F.M.S.B. (Flip Mount Super Back-Plate) for more convenient mounting onto the motherboard. There should not be any cooling performance between these two models, despite marketing hype.

Also see http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=371&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=6

DaeM

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
i got the revision b last week on my pc and i must say it works perfectly

the fan just plugs in like any other fan so no worries there.
only tricky thing was i had to remove the mobo in order to install it
and i think you have to do the same

there is some thermal paste with it but i used the arctic silver 5 compound because i was told it was better.
I dont know what thermal paste was with it but like i said i didnt use it

running a q9550 @ 3.4 GHz with mid 40C on 100% load and around 30C on idle

hope this helps you ;)

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I have had my Mugen 2 Rev B for about 2 weeks now. I am @ 3.9 on my i5 750. Idle @ about 39-41C and load around 62C with ambient temps 28C. I also have a Coolermaster HAF 922 case with 3x200mm fans. I had no problems with plugging in the fan to my P55 LE mb. The Scythe fan it came with is by far the quietest fan in my system.

gangstap

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
This cooler is sick. It's huge and the fan does block the memory slots on my mb (my ram has hs so its taller) if facing the way I want it to. You do not need a speed controller for the fan.