I have just had my XFX 9800GX2 RMA'd and have been informed I could be in for about a month long wait from the supplier while they wait for it to come back into stock.
To keep me happy they have offered me an 'upgrade' to a XFX GT 280 for an extra $100. I have had a look at the benchmarks and am not entirely sold on paying extra for a card that performs about the same as a 9800GX2.
I really don't want to wait a month for another GX2 so do you think it is worth paying the extra for the GT 280 - I guess its a newer card so it might be a bit more future proof, plus I hear it runs a lot better in SLI than the GX2 (Just incase I throw another card in my rig later on)
The GTX280 is about even overall with the wins and losses, but really they want $100 extra for it? That's pretty excessive because it's not even arguably a boost.
I'd say overal you've got the GX2 running about 55% wins vs 45% depending on the situation. As you run out of memory at the very high end is where it matters most.
I'd try and get them to give you the GTX280 as a stright exchange, because $100 more of a card it is not, now the GTX285 might be worth it for the power consumption and heat benefits over the current model, but not an older GTX280.
Of course it would suck waiting a month, but check what their replacement poilicy gives you options for, maybe you can convince them to give you the GTX280 straight up. I'd prefer the GTX280 and lean towards it for a new purchase but $100 is hard to swallow.
I agree with TGGA. Bomb em with reviews. Its an even up trade, and should be treated as such, since both are pretty much eol, and why you have to wait anyways.
I say even up trade, so let them know it.
I have been back in touch with shop now and have told them I want a replacement now or the upgrade to the GTX 280 for free. I am now waiting to hear back from the 'manager'. I'll have to see which way this sways.
Hey everyone thanks for all the comments. Just thought I would let everyone know after a lot of communicating back and forth with the manager we finally came to a resolution. They have decided to provide me with a XFX GTX 285 Ultra for an upgrade cost of $50.
This ended up being the only card they could provide to me without having to order from the supplier. The card is now on its way to me so hopefully I will have it after the weekend