Sign in with
Your question

Bios update for core unlocking

Last response: in Overclocking
June 3, 2010 1:41:05 AM

The situation is that I have tried to unlock the cores my 550 BE with a Asus M4A785TD-V EVO on bios version 0501 without success.

The cpu z screen
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4615/moboc.jpg

So I want to update my BIOS to see if my CPU really is just a dual core... but I've never done it before and I'm worried about fuc*ing up my only PC. So is the BIOS update utility that comes with the mobo any good? And is it really worth updating BIOS for that?

Also here is the asus BIOS download page; should I download the latest or an of the earlier updates if I do decide to go through with it.

Thank you. :sweat: 
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2010 7:42:32 AM

Just download the latest version as long as there isn't a power cut half way there is unlikely to be a problem.
June 4, 2010 6:13:00 PM

simon12 said:
Just download the latest version as long as there isn't a power cut half way there is unlikely to be a problem.

Oh yeah, does the latest update remove unlocking? AMD was pressuring for that right?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2010 11:01:54 AM

You can always go back to an older bios if there are problems. I have never heard about an update removing any options from a bios. The newer chipsets (870 880 890) don't natively support core unlocking so the motherboard manafacturers have added there own.
!