Computer won't boot up after I put in a new graphics card

Sparke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Hi, I have a problem with my new graphics card.

I just bought and inserted a new graphics card (GeForce 7300GT, I had an ATI x300). When I boot up my computer, it shows the Gateway screen that it always does, but then goes no where from there. I've tried starting it up a couple times, but it hasn't done anything different. When it boots up, typically it runs really loud and then gets quiet, but now it stays really loud. My computer was working fine before I installed the new card.

I'm sorry if I'm not the most descriptive person in the world. I'm also not so fond of a lot of computer hardware stuff. (Graphics cards, RAM, power supplies, etc).

And, I just got my RAM and Power supply replaced, so that may roll out something.

Thanks,
Sparke

xTalent

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Put the old graphics card in the PC, boot it up, delete the drivers (in safe mode, make sure EVERYTHING to do with ATI is deleted), install nvidia drivers, enjoy, Most people do a Full Windows Reinstall after adding a New Video Card.

kykartracer

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Got a buddy that had the same problem. Try replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard. His keeps frying this battery for some reason.

Sparke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I think the problem may be that I uninstalled my old graphics card's drivers and now there's none on my computer. But now the question is, what do I do about it? My system restoration disk wouldn't load or even do anything.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Not having drivers installed will not prevent your system from booting up. Remember that when you install windows for the first time there are no drivers installed and it works fine then. I'd check and make sure that you didn't accidentally disconnect something when installing the graphics card.

Sparke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Well, I took it in, and the problem was there was a chip in my computer because it was a media center making it not work

I don't really know. Thanks for the help anywa, guys.

~Sparke