Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Linking two pc's directly with switch

Last response: in Toms Network
March 22, 2010 11:58:21 PM

Hello,
I have two pc's that use wireless to connect to the internet. This leaves their onboard NIC free. I don't have a crossover cat5 cable but I do have spare switches. Linking the two pc's through the switch produces only limited connectivity. One PC runs XP pro sp2, the other PC runs Windows 7. When I select the properties link under the "Local Area Connection" for that NIC and then select TCP/IP, the subsequent "properties" button is not available.

Can anyone help?

Best solution

March 23, 2010 1:19:01 AM

If you're using moderns PCs, you don't need a crossover cable. A standard ethernet cable will work just fine. All modern networking devices use auto-mdix to negotiate the connection setup and have made crossover cables obsolete.

As far as limited connectivity, that just means the TCP/IP configurations are set to DHCP, but since there is not DHCP server available between them, they each have to assign themselves IPs in the 169.254.x.x. range, which is useless, and then Windows reports “limited connectivity”. You need to configure TCP/IP on those machines manually.

For example,

PC #1
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

PC #2
IP address: 192.168.1.2

Why you can’t access the TCP/IP properties, I don’t understand. Are you sure the drivers are installed and the hardware is functioning properly?

April 1, 2010 9:20:47 AM

you dont have touse switch instead u can directly connect with ur router it self as it has 4 ethernet potrs also use switch the do like this

router----->switch------>pc's
Related resources
April 5, 2010 6:10:10 PM

eibgrad said:
If you're using moderns PCs, you don't need a crossover cable. A standard ethernet cable will work just fine. All modern networking devices use auto-mdix to negotiate the connection setup and have made crossover cables obsolete.

As far as limited connectivity, that just means the TCP/IP configurations are set to DHCP, but since there is not DHCP server available between them, they each have to assign themselves IPs in the 169.254.x.x. range, which is useless, and then Windows reports “limited connectivity”. You need to configure TCP/IP on those machines manually.

For example,

PC #1
IP address: 192.168.1.1

PC #2
IP address: 192.168.1.2

Why you can’t access the TCP/IP properties, I don’t understand. Are you sure the drivers are installed and the hardware is functioning properly?

Thanks for your response. Sorry about the delay in responding. I connected the cable directly from pc to pc and got the same result -- limited connectivity.

However, I found that a windows component, Peer to Peer, was not installed. I installed that component and will see what happens.
April 5, 2010 6:15:21 PM

huntluck said:
you dont have touse switch instead u can directly connect with ur router it self as it has 4 ethernet potrs also use switch the do like this

router----->switch------>pc's

The two pc's I'm trying to connect are connected to the router but through a wireless connection. They are located too far away from the router.
April 13, 2010 3:07:35 AM

Installed the component, but it does not seem to help. Still cannot get access to TCP/IP to manually configure it.

It looks like no one knows the answer.
May 4, 2010 3:53:19 PM

You can connect one win 7 with router and other win xp with wireless AP....

And for your Ip it automatically assigns address.. After connecting It will not conflict...

Just try n U will understand by doing ...friend !
May 4, 2010 7:42:09 PM

huntluck said:
You can connect one win 7 with router and other win xp with wireless AP....

And for your Ip it automatically assigns address.. After connecting It will not conflict...

Just try n U will understand by doing ...friend !

Thanks, but I am trying to avoid using wireless because wireless is not stable in my house. It may be the walls, poor devices, or metal studs.

However, I caved in and ran a wire from the router-switch that is hooked to the cable modem to another switch that is connected to the two computers.

Thanks for everyone's help.
May 14, 2010 6:55:51 PM

Best answer selected by pipiyau.
!